Electronic logbooks / websites / IPAD apps

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
I was thinking the other day of how much of a mess it would be to lose a log book and noticed there were lots of computer-based flight logging solutions out there.

How many of you use electronic solutions to keep your pilot log book? Do you have any good recommendations -- particularly of any which can be accessed from multiple mediums (IE: Android, IPAD, and a web browser)?

How do you handle things like having the CFI sign an entry, showing your log book to a DPE, the various sign-offs, and other related items that consist of more than directly logging a PIC flight?

They all suck. But I use zululog for the reasons you mention.

If your instructor pays for Zululog they claim he can electronically endorse it, I have no idea how acceptable that is. Honestly I think scanning or photographing your log book would be easier but I'm too cheap to buy a good one.

Last edited:
I keep a paper logbook, I started before there were such electronic gizmos.

I back it up with LogBook Pro, makes completing 8710s easier. Yes I did load in all of the previous flights. I also have a spreadsheet program.

I back up required endorsements with a hard copy of the pages filed with printouts from the electronic programs and stored separately from my paper log books.

I use myflightbook.com and transcribe monthly into the paper logbook kept safe at home. Its free and makes 8710s a breeze.

They also can capture signatures for CFI sign-offs but with a lack of leadership from the FAA on this I'm reluctant to use it even if it does meet their standards.

There are too many DPEs out there doing what they think is right.

I tried several and none of them could do exactly what I wanted, so I ended up doing it in a spreadsheet.

I tried several and none of them could do exactly what I wanted, so I ended up doing it in a spreadsheet.

:yes:

X2

I made a excel log, uploaded to google docs so I can add flights from my phone, computer etc, I can also upload scanned images for endorsement etc.

Download a copy to my computers every month, so I have backup if google goes tits up

Another thing, I'd also scan your paper logs if I were you

My primary log book is paper. I keep a Google drive spreadsheet just to run simple statistics and so that I can reproduce it if necessary (I'd have to redo any endorsements as well - I was considering scanning the endorsements).

MyFlightBook
Plus 10. I have used it for a while now. Its free, it works great, your signatures are easy to get electronicly, 8710s are a breeze, keeps track of currency. Only one complaint...there is no way to really capture old data without entering it all. I was not going to go back and enter all 2000 hrs with details so some of my numbers are missing, but the important ones are there.

Plus 10. I have used it for a while now. Its free, it works great, your signatures are easy to get electronicly, 8710s are a breeze, keeps track of currency. Only one complaint...there is no way to really capture old data without entering it all. I was not going to go back and enter all 2000 hrs with details so some of my numbers are missing, but the important ones are there.

They have an excel template that works well. I already have a spreadsheet so it was fairly easy to take the data from there.

I keep a paper logbook, I started before there were such electronic gizmos.

I back it up with LogBook Pro, makes completing 8710s easier. Yes I did load in all of the previous flights. I also have a spreadsheet program.

I back up required endorsements with a hard copy of the pages filed with printouts from the electronic programs and stored separately from my paper log books.

:yeahthat:

It used to be I'd keep the paper current and update the electronic occasionally. Now, with the iPad and Android data entry tools, Logbook Pro gets updated soon after the flight, which then syncs to the PC-based logbook. My regular paper-based logbook gets updated periodically based on the digital version. It also gets used for endorsements.

Is that 120-78-compliant/certified?

It's alot easier to just have the CFI/DPE/etc write it out on a piece of paper and upload it into a cell in your excel log book, the digital signature is a PITA, when I get done with a student I really dont have the time or patience to make a account, bring a computer, etc, etc just to sign their damn log, just rather write it down and get on with it.

If you arnt doing digital signatures then 120-78 does not apply.

My excel log in google docs is IAW FAR 61.51 ( http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part61-51-FAR.shtm l) if you read 61.51, you can keep your logbook on a napkin if you wanted to, just needs to log certain details like type, reg, airport, time, etc for currency or additional ratings.

The last signature in my log was for my BFR a few months ago, I simply printed up a blank page in my log, gave it to the CFI, he filled it out with his pen, I scanned it at home and inserted it in the row for that flight.

For someone like me, who only needs signatures for BFRs and a yearly work related ride it's great.

Now for a student where almost every flight has a CFIs signature, I'd stick with a Jep paper logbook until you have your tickets. After you earn your initial tickets, then scan it, upload it and go digital.

I recently noticed FltPlan, which I have used since my PPL for weather, plates, planning, etc offers a FREE logbook service, you can even import and export your log for piece of mind.

Personally I still prefer google docs and my own custom excel sheet

http://flttrack.fltplan.com/fltbrief/January2013/fltbriefvol1.htm

FltPlan said:
FltPlan.com Offers Free Logbook program, now with more new features
Last month we at FltPlan.com announced our full featured eLogbook. It has received a great reception and is becoming very popular with our users. The eLogbook integrates with your FltPlan.com account, so you can transfer your flight plans directly without retyping all your data, or it can be used as a stand alone logbook program. Now you can import your past totals and add passenger info to each flight, as well.

lb1.jpg

lb2.jpg

The eLogbook is designed for use by student pilots right up to corporate or airline captains. It offers selectable columns and works with flights for both captain and co-pilot. The logbook also allows you to set up aircraft profiles based on tail numbers. It will then fill in the appropriate categories like twin engine jet, seaplane, etc. You can enter your past flights or begin with totals from previous logbooks. You can also now store passenger info including names, addresses, and phone numbers and assign them to the appropriate flights.

The logbook pages will be printable and exportable to Excel spreadsheets.

MyFlightBook
I basically log all my flights in the paper and electronic log, and if flying my airplane - airplane log also (although there the times are in tach for mx and knowing how much oil I added when). Also keep G1000 flight logs from my airplane.
Was reviewing airports visited at MyFlightBook recently, and saw that an airport I have positively been to wasn't on the list. Looked at my paper logbook - wasn't there either. Looked at the G1000 files and figured what happened - went flying, did a couple of landings at my buddy's grass strip airpark, came back, picked up a passenger, fouled spark plug that wouldn't clear, cancelling the flight for the day etc - just plain ol' forgot to log the flight.
Added it in almost a year later, stating the date, writing little 'splaining and highlighting it so that I'd remember not to count it towards currency. Hey, it's 0.7, but it happened, so better be in there.

Yea, I use Google Docs for mine as well.

Anyone want to share Docs links or screenshots? Might get some cool ideas from each other.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

It's alot easier to just have the CFI/DPE/etc write it out on a piece of paper and upload it into a cell in your excel log book, the digital signature is a PITA, when I get done with a student I really dont have the time or patience to make a account, bring a computer, etc, etc just to sign their damn log, just rather write it down and get on with it.
That's the problem, and why I, too, do only paper signatures/endorsements when I'm giving training.

... lots of computer-based flight logging solutions out there.
One thing to watch is whether you can get your data back once you have put it in. Typically these programs use a proprietary storage format and many seem to have the strategy that once they have your data you will stick with them, buy upgrades, etc. if you have no way to get your data back out.

A number of years ago, I was using Safelog when they implemented a system where if you didn't pay for the latest upgrade your data was locked up and you were SOL. I dropped them like a hot potato because it also meant that if they went out of business I was screwed.

Long story short, I wrote my own logbook program that used a MS Jet database, which is the Access database engine. So everything is available in Access, exportable to Excel, etc. and I can do any kind of data crunching I like. It displays data to match the pages of any of eight commercial logbook formats or in user-customized formats. It also fills out the data block for the 8710, something that is a b1tc# to do from a paper logbook. I have given a few copies away and people seem to like it. If anyone wants to PM me I'll send the help file and you can take a look. Free and guaranteed worth the price. If you're a real wonk, you can even have the source code.

bleh. I've spent my evenings for the last week or so entering about 1000 hours of time into ZuluLog. Now my 30 day free trial has run out and I'm realizing the free version is rather limited. I don't really want to pay them over $100/year either. I may have to switch over to google docs... Chris I am borrowing your format. :)

One thing to watch is whether you can get your data back once you have put it in. Typically these programs use a proprietary storage format and many seem to have the strategy that once they have your data you will stick with them, buy upgrades, etc. if you have no way to get your data back out.

A number of years ago, I was using Safelog when they implemented a system where if you didn't pay for the latest upgrade your data was locked up and you were SOL. I dropped them like a hot potato because it also meant that if they went out of business I was screwed.

Long story short, I wrote my own logbook program that used a MS Jet database, which is the Access database engine. So everything is available in Access, exportable to Excel, etc. and I can do any kind of data crunching I like. It displays data to match the pages of any of eight commercial logbook formats or in user-customized formats. It also fills out the data block for the 8710, something that is a b1tc# to do from a paper logbook. I have given a few copies away and people seem to like it. If anyone wants to PM me I'll send the help file and you can take a look. Free and guaranteed worth the price. If you're a real wonk, you can even have the source code.

I did the same thing. Keeps track of currency (night and day) for 4 categories/classes of aircraft, along with instrument currency.

bleh. I've spent my evenings for the last week or so entering about 1000 hours of time into ZuluLog. Now my 30 day free trial has run out and I'm realizing the free version is rather limited. I don't really want to pay them over $100/year either. I may have to switch over to google docs... Chris I am borrowing your format. :)

My friend, you have a bright future as an IT Project Manager. :)

I use the PilotPal logbook.. ( www.pilotpal.com )

It's free, easy to use....

You can easily upload and download flights from an Excel spreadsheet ( backup )...

You can download all kinds of specific reports based on your data...

I haven't experienced a single problem with the program since I started using it 5 years ago...

Highly recommended :yes:

I've been using a self-created electronic logbook since the DOS days (since ported to Windows and MS-Access).

I'm currently using the online MyFlightBook for various reasons including (in no particular order) the ease with I was able to transfer my database, the availability of an updatable Excel spreadsheet so I can maintain a local copy just in case, the availability of iOS and Android apps, and a very responsive developer who keeps improving it.

BTW, I still maintain a paper log but primarily for endorsements; flight entries in it are limited.

I use LogTen Pro. Not cheap, but once I manually put in my low 200 hours on there, haven't looked back. Includes areas to allow CFI's to sign BFR's, high performance/complex endorsements, medicals, ETC.

Log ten pro is fantastic.

Sync to multiple computers/iPad/iPhone. Print paper logs you can put in binders.

No one uses Flightlogg.in? Been using it for a while and it works just fine for me, it's free and emails me a montly backup.

Add another for myflightbook. I used to use LogTen Pro, but despise any software with a "pay to upgrade" model. And having to pay for the mobile app and not having an Android option killed it for me .

MyFlightBook app automatically logs times for you as well, using GPS to determine time off and down if you happen to forget to jot it down.

And its free. The last free option went the way of the dodo, which is always nerve wracking so i like the fact that one can get my data out easily.

No one uses Flightlogg.in? Been using it for a while and it works just fine for me, it's free and emails me a montly backup.
Used to and I agree it was pretty good. When I decided to try mylogbook, I ran them in tandem for a while and then decided I liked myfligtbook better and stopped using flightlogg.in.

Never have three words made me shudder as much as those.
Just because *you* can't get it work...
Lots of advantages to Jet/Access. It's easy to take the few tiny logbook tables (basically, Flights and Airplanes) and do whatever I like in the way of special queries, etc. without messing with the logbook program code. It's also easy for someone using the logbook program (YALP -- Yet Another Logbook Program) to pull their data out into a spreadsheet if they want to migrate to some other tool. It also makes initial data entry easier for someone with Access skills because the tables can be created in bulk rather than through the one-flight-at-a-time UI.

I've always had good luck with Jet, having run CRM systems with up to around 250K telecon records. It's not SQL Server or Oracle, but it doesn't require a staff of priest and acolytes to maintain it either. Something like MySQL would do the logbook job nicely as well but without the easy access (pun, yes) that Access provides.

And, as I said, YALP is a giveway. PM me for the help file and if you like it I'll send the installer.

I'm only flying 1 plane these days. My experimental GRT EFIS maintains a log. I periodically download it to a USB stick, open it in excel, add flourishes and keep in my Dropbox cloud so it is accessible on all devices. I kept an older paper log for the. Occasional BFR.

Seems clunky but it's the best system I've had in a long time.

Back