Domestic Cat in GA plane

motorboat

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
motorboat
Anybody have any luck traveling with his/her cat? Tips? Thanks!

Don't have a cat but have 100's of hours with various dogs. I can relay what I've read here over the years.

Most people with pet experience say the way the pet behaves in a car is pretty predictive of what they will do in a plane. This time of year be especially sensitive about the cabin temperature. As much a she loves to fly the pup isn't on the manifest when it's 90 degrees.

I always ensure she is secured either on a lap or a pet seatbelt if it's just the two of us. Too much risk that some turbulence might disrupt her and allow her to get underfoot. I know most cats don't like carriers but I'd suggest that would be a plus.

For casual flying our vet says not to worry about engine noise and if we can breathe so can the pet. Your ride might be noisier than a 182 so use your own judgment.

I flew a lot of pets at one of my first jobs. There weren't any real specific instructions on keeping dogs restrained, but it said that cats needed to be in a carrier due to their "unpredictable behavior and independent nature".

Can’t find the old Henning post about transporting a cat that got loose from its cage in a small plane and massively freaked out, supposedly resulting in the pilot opening the side window to let it escape at altitude after it clawed, scratched, and urinated all over the pilot and cabin.

Might have been on the red board.

Have done so multiple times. Vomiting not uncommon. Clawing a concern also. I would recommend a carrier.

We're taking our cat from AZ to MN in about a month, getting out of the heat. We'll probably medicate him and keep him in a carrier. Maybe prop it up so he can see out..

We did buy a carrier that we just keep open in the house and he loves it, so we're hoping he'll love it in the plane too.

We're taking our cat from AZ to MN in about a month, getting out of the heat. We'll probably medicate him and keep him in a carrier. Maybe prop it up so he can see out..

We did buy a carrier that we just keep open in the house and he loves it, so we're hoping he'll love it in the plane too.
Open In the house = den; security.
Closed in a moving vehicle = who knows until you've done it.

I’ve thought about flying my cat but I’d worry about noise & hearing damage. Maybe putting some blankets around the carrier would damp the sound a bit.

We frequently travel with our cat and dog. Cat is always in a crate. Dog next to him on the backseat. Once we reach cruising altitude, both fall asleep until we start the descend. Never had an issue with the cat flying despite the fact he was 7 when he first flew in a GA plane. He doesn’t seem afraid or stressed when flying. The dog also never had an issue but he got introduced to GA as a puppy.

groundpounder - that’s why the emoji, not everyone likes cats, and there are old ladies that shouldn’t. it was a tongue it cheek comment and not to be taken serious.

I’ve thought about flying my cat but I’d worry about noise & hearing damage. Maybe putting some blankets around the carrier would damp the sound a bit.
I've been told that doesn't matter a whole lot. I'm not fully sure if I believe that, but we do have these ear muffs for them that are meant for small dogs. It does make him look like a bug-eyed alien from Men In Black...

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
We frequently travel with our cat and dog. Cat is always in a crate. Dog next to him on the backseat. Once we reach cruising altitude, both fall asleep until we start the descend. Never had an issue with the cat flying despite the fact he was 7 when he first flew in a GA plane. He doesn’t seem afraid or stressed when flying. The dog also never had an issue but he got introduced to GA as a puppy.
No hearing protection?

No hearing protection?

We have some for both pets but they don't keep them on. They usually take them off before we even reach the run up area. Other than during takeoff for a few minutes, the noise level isn't very high on our plane. In cruise with the prop at 2,300 rpm and MP at 21, my wife and I could have a conversation without the headsets, without the need for yelling.

Cats and flying reminds me of a fiasco from many many years ago. It involved a cat, a Stearman, and a decision of the pilot to determine if a cat would land on it's feet. Quite the funny tale, but not so funny for the pilot at the time.

Cats and flying reminds me of a fiasco from many many years ago. It involved a cat, a Stearman, and a decision of the pilot to determine if a cat would land on it's feet. Quite the funny tale, but not so funny for the pilot at the time.
Yeah I've talked to my CFI about it and the first thing she said was, "I've got a funny story to tell you but since we don't have time, I'll sum it up - don't create your own in-flight emergencies."

A kitty cat I would put in a carrier so you can keep the cat and you safe.
Dogs not so much unless it is a small dog and that might make the dog feel more secure.

My 60 pound dog has been flying with me in the back seat for 9 years now. He is used to traveling with us in cars, trucks, Rv and airplanes. He just wants to be with us and don't care what he travels in. He always wants to be in the back seat, can't get him into the front. He sleeps 99% of the time and he is too big to get into the front seat from the back seat in my 172. So I don't worry about him getting in front and causing safety issues. He has well over 500 hrs in the plane and can still hear fine without hearing protection. Like most dogs he takes them off before I can even take off.
I think he looked in the mirror and said to himself "I am not wearing these silly things" lol
IMG_72651.jpg

IMG_72681.jpg

Back