Delta's email to its frequent passengers

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
from an email. time for some ass-chapstick.

Providing the highest quality service to our customers is the guiding principle in everything we do at Delta. But it is difficult for us to provide the level of service you deserve when air traffic in the United States is controlled with pre-WWII methods and technology.

Within a decade, traffic delays will cost the economy $40 billion a year, and you, the customer, a great deal of wasted time. There will be 85% more jets in the sky in the next 15 years—an increase driven largely by corporate jets, fractional jets, air-taxis and very light jets. To an air traffic controller, a jet with a celebrity or a CEO takes as much effort as a commercial flight with 250 passengers. However, the current system is funded almost entirely by the airline ticket tax, meaning that you are paying for nearly 95% of the air traffic system while corporate and private jets get a free ride!

You can help make a difference! Please contact your Congressional representatives and ask them to:

* Quit forcing you to subsidize corporate jets through the current unfair ticket tax
* Support a new cost-based ATC finance structure that will fund the system fairly and enable the FAA to modernize our aging ATC system

Working in a partnership with other airlines, we will do everything we can to continue to improve upon the customer experience. For more information on this initiative, called "Smart Skies," go to smartskies.org/delta. We can make a difference!

from an email. time for some ass-chapstick.

Providing the highest quality service to our customers is the guiding principle in everything we do at Delta. But it is difficult for us to provide the level of service you deserve when air traffic in the United States is controlled with pre-WWII methods and technology.

Within a decade, traffic delays will cost the economy $40 billion a year, and you, the customer, a great deal of wasted time. There will be 85% more jets in the sky in the next 15 years—an increase driven largely by corporate jets, fractional jets, air-taxis and very light jets. To an air traffic controller, a jet with a celebrity or a CEO takes as much effort as a commercial flight with 250 passengers. However, the current system is funded almost entirely by the airline ticket tax, meaning that you are paying for nearly 95% of the air traffic system while corporate and private jets get a free ride!

You can help make a difference! Please contact your Congressional representatives and ask them to:

* Quit forcing you to subsidize corporate jets through the current unfair ticket tax
* Support a new cost-based ATC finance structure that will fund the system fairly and enable the FAA to modernize our aging ATC system

Working in a partnership with other airlines, we will do everything we can to continue to improve upon the customer experience. For more information on this initiative, called "Smart Skies," go to smartskies.org/delta. We can make a difference!

UGH. Jerks.

However, the current system is funded almost entirely by the airline ticket tax, meaning that you are paying for nearly 95% of the air traffic system while corporate and private jets get a free ride!
Anyone who thinks ticket prices will go down with implementing user fees has been smoking bamboo leaves.

The July copy of Continental Airlines in flight rag had the same story (almost word for word) from the CEO. If I wasn't over the Pacific Ocean when I read it I would have bailed.

However, the current system is funded almost entirely by the airline ticket tax, meaning that you are paying for nearly 95% of the air traffic system while corporate and private jets get a free ride!
and the current ATC system is set up for the use of the Air Carriers and the current Hub air air system. They get what they pay for and need. The current ATC system is not set up for us in GA.

All the airlines in the International Air Transport Association (IATA) are sending out similar letters and even sponsoring stupid commercials with JJ the Jet Plane type characters that are shown in the airports. It's full of half-truths and out and out lies. I plan to contact my congressmen and tell them not to even think about user fees. This stuff has got to stop!!!

Mitch

The Southwest Airlines in-flight magazine for this month has a similar editorial.....

The Southwest Airlines in-flight magazine for this month has a similar editorial.....

Really? I thought Herb wasn't buying in to the nonsense. He testified against ATA in congress.

ATA is lumping discount carriers into the same "must be outlawed" pot as GA.

I'm beginning to think it's sad how the major airlines just will not get it. They'll protect the hub and spoke, crowded gates, late arrivals, customer prevention and anger, and exec bonuses right until there's nobody flying them any more.

Really? I thought Herb wasn't buying in to the nonsense. He testified against ATA in congress.

ATA is lumping discount carriers into the same "must be outlawed" pot as GA.

Not anymore. Southwest is in support of the petition as their fares rose and others dropped. http://www.smartskies.org/About/Carriers/

Remember that this started as a way to "stick it" to the discounters. As fares have come closer to parity, it's become a way to "stick it" to GA. Time honored business technique.

I'm beginning to think it's sad how the major airlines just will not get it. They'll protect the hub and spoke, crowded gates, late arrivals, customer prevention and anger, and exec bonuses right until there's nobody flying them any more.

I was having a discussion with someone (FAA or airline operations, most likely) on another board about it. He claims that enroute sectors are overloaded, and that should drive the fees. He has remained completely silent in response to my comments that the most overloaded enroute sectors are overloaded because the FAA, by policy, is rerouting TRACON traffic into the enroute areas - largely driven by the hub/spoke.

Last edited:
Interesting that Delta would have an article like that in their magazine since they have their own business jet subsidiary. http://www.airelite.com/faq/index.cfm

PS: Why is this in the Spin Zone?

Last edited:
Why *IS* this in spin?

Spin is specifically non-av.

Moving to Hangar Talk.

Back