Deferred Medical due to DUI - Managing Case Advice

NickOwen5

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NickOwen5
The Facts: Single incident, DUI 8 years ago, not abstinent but basically sober since (1-2 beers/month)

Medical Application Situation: Arresting police department couldn't find the police report and my court document stated BAC at 0.00 so my AME deferred the medical application to the FAA. I supplied personal statement and court documents to AME along with email from the police department stating that they couldn't find the report.

Update: I sent a response to the arresting police department to let them know that the FAA would be requesting the report as well and magically, they found the report under a different name with a BAC of 0.17 (>0.15).

Question: I think it's best to go ahead and send this report to the FAA now that I have it. Agree? Also, what other documents should I be gathering and what other sort of mental prep should I be doing to prepare for how lengthy of a process this might be? I was super stoked to get current ASAP and hit this roadblock (I had kind of forgetting about it given how distant it is and the fact that alcohol use is no longer an issue in my life).

Appreciate any help!

lifelong DMV record from a any state in which you've ever had a licesse
Personal statement
If you are abstienent now, so state- and substantiate that- a HIMS AME uses a Random to prove that.
You will need a high level alcohol evaluation- HIMS AMEs can either provide or send you for that - depends on the behavior report by the officer as to whether or not you neeed the HIMS psychiatrist.

Last edited:
BAC of 0.17 and still drinking, if your personal statement says “alcohol use is no longer an issue in my life”, you haven’t done yourself any favors.

Update: I sent a response to the arresting police department to let them know that the FAA would be requesting the report as well and magically, they found the report under a different name with a BAC of 0.17 (>0.15).
One concern I would have is If the report is under a different name, how does anyone know it is your report.??

Back