DC-3 on Edo 28000 Amphibian Floats

The article states the DC-3 on floats was the largest float plane ever built.

I bet Howard Hughes might argue that point...

Over the years we've commercially operated Flying Hauls and Float equipped planes in Southeast Alaska. There's some big differences. The biggest being loading and unloading. Flying Hauls do not dock well and require highly experienced technique. Most flying Hauls have wing floats that will hit the dock if not lifted. Most every time we would count on the dock crew to pick up the float and set it on the dock. If it was windy the wing float would just keep beating the dock while unloading and loading. There was a number of work arounds but none of them where much less complicated.

Float equipped aircraft most of the time could be handled by a single pilot. The more practiced pilots have the better docking skills.

And then there's beaching.....
dhc-211.jpg

Over the years we've commercially operated Flying Hauls and Float equipped planes in Southeast Alaska. There's some big differences. The biggest being loading and unloading. Flying Hauls do not dock well and require highly experienced technique. Most flying Hauls have wing floats that will hit the dock if not lifted. Most every time we would count on the dock crew to pick up the float and set it on the dock. If it was windy the wing float would just keep beating the dock while unloading and loading. There was a number of work arounds but none of them where much less complicated.

Float equipped aircraft most of the time could be handled by a single pilot. The more practiced pilots have the better docking skills.

And then there's beaching.....
View attachment 133666

Flew SE Alaska for 10 yrs. Seaplanes was my most recent employer there and rented a room from the Lokens, though they no longer own the company.

Flying boats that came to my mind, the China Clippers. 4 big radials engines, galley and dining room on one level, sleeping quarters on another.

Google for amazing details of these magnifi8cant flying hotels.

The Germans had huge passenger liners for the South America travelers, the wings were so thick, the flight engineers went out to the engines to check oil level, and add if necessary in flight.

Last edited:
It came to MHT back when I worked line service there. It was gigantic. Good to see it flying again, hopefully they keep it airworthy.

Back