Crash History and Missing Logs

MFF25

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MFF25
I am looking at buying a c-150 that I found at my local field. The logs are missing for the first 10 years of the aircraft’s life. I pulled the NTSB reports and the 337s and found that the plane had been crashed upon landing 50 years ago. The 337 says both wing, the vertical and horizontal stabs, the firewall fwd and engine mounts were replaced. I am not too concerned with the repairs because the plane has flown 5000 since then, but I am concerned with the missing documentation and the trouble this will cause when I go to sell the plane. Is this a walk away situation? Either way this has been a good lesson in the importance of due diligence.

If the price is right, it wouldn’t be a deal killer for me, but it might be for someone else. Even though there are no logs available for that period of time, there IS other forms of documentation available, as you have found out.

Is this a walk away situation?
No, provided the existing documentation meets the requirements of Part 91.417. And even then it could still be viable. Same answer for the repair history. However, the amount/value of historical documentation is more subjective to the individual than anything else. Perhaps discuss this with the mechanic who will maintain this aircraft if purchased as its only their opinion that counts or is relevant in the big picture. Good luck.

Last edited:
People use absent logs as a way to reduce the asking price during negotiations,since the plane has been flying all those hours after the repairs ,I wouldn’t be afraid to purchase if the price is right.

Not a walk-away, and if you're planning to keep it and fly it for a long time the missing logs become less of an issue. Just like you're not worried about the repairs done 5000 hours ago, a future buyer will be less worried about the missing logs if you have your own logbooks going back 10 or 15 years.

Yeah I
If the price is right, it wouldn’t be a deal killer for me, but it might be for someone else. Even though there are no logs available for that period of time, there IS other forms of documentation available, as you have found out.
I think finding the right price, and getting the current owner to agree to it, so that I am protected in the future is going to be the difficult part.

Yeah I

I think finding the right price, and getting the current owner to agree to it, so that I am protected in the future is going to be the difficult part.
A rising tide floats all ships. But the opposite is also true. Bottom line is, you make the best deal you can and don’t really worry about the future.

Back