Cessna vs. Mooney

Danos

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i And I Survive
Starting my complex training soon. For those of you with experience on both, which do you think would be the better trainer? Cessna 172 RG or the mooney M20C?

Either. I did my original complex in the 172rg and took delivery on my Mooney the next day. They are different, with different catch points. If the only thing you're going for is the endorsement, rather than getting a checkout to rent one of them, just go for the cheaper or the best condition or closest one. In other words, don't let the aircraft TYPE be your sole criterion. However, if it's a checkout and you plan on renting, then your mission requirements become paramount.

But a complex checkout is quick and simple. No need to stress over it.

I second Ken's sentiments. Either will do. Also, if all your training has been in high wings, perhaps this would be a good opportunity to try out the dark side and vice versa. The Mooney will teach you the importance of controlling your speed on final more than the Cessna will too.

What Mark said. Once you've flown a mooney and experienced high speed on low fuel burn, you'll be spoiled. It'll definitely teach you how to manage energy on arrival.

Thanks guys. All of my private pre-instrument training was in Pipers. I wouldn't mind getting back into a low wing plane. I wouldn't mind stepping up the speed either. When I'm endorsed I'll be able to rent it too. I also dig the idea of having some variety.B)

Thanks guys. All of my private pre-instrument training was in Pipers. I wouldn't mind getting back into a low wing plane. I wouldn't mind stepping up the speed either. When I'm endorsed I'll be able to rent it too. I also dig the idea of having some variety.B)
Well if it's something you'll be renting afterward, then DEFINITELY the Mooney. Unless it's a basket case, that is.

The Cutlass is roomier than the Mooney M20C. The Mooney is faster. Check the actual W&B data for both aircraft for the actual payload capabilities, too. Then decide which is the one you want to rent/fly after checkout, and do your complex training in it.

Definately the Mooney as long as it's in decent shape. If it's a Johnson bar model, the only way to have a gear failure is if you manage to break your right shoulder during the flight. :D

Definately the Mooney as long as it's in decent shape. If it's a Johnson bar model, the only way to have a gear failure is if you manage to break your right shoulder during the flight. :D
Switch seats and use your left arm ... :D

I'm going up to the school today yot have a look. Maybe go for ra ride in the pattern if possible. Again, thanks for the input!

If you learn in a Mooney, you will have speed discipline from the very beginning.

It's analogous to learning in a taildragger. If you learn in a taildragger, you will have Active Feet and appreciate the rudder from the very beginning.

If you learn in a Mooney, you will have speed discipline from the very beginning.

It's analogous to learning in a taildragger. If you learn in a taildragger, you will have Active Feet and appreciate the rudder from the very beginning.
Agreed. I can't knock the Cutlass RG -- it's comfortable and handles well. But a Mooney handles more like a heavier, high-performance airplane. If you plan to move up later on, the Mooney will give you a better introduction.

I thought the transition would be easier in the 172RG as that's what I flew the most. Plus, the RG on the line had Garmin 430's, which I'm also used to. It was nice in that it handled pretty much just like a 172 including sight picture, so to me that made it simple to pick-up the differences between fixed gear / fixed prop and complex.

I've since flown in a M20J and I had no concerns for the complex part, just figuring out the Mooney.

The Mooney is much farther from home and not as nice as the 172RG (condition and avionics), so I fly the RG more. On the other hand I'm looking buying a Mooney, hopefully in the near future.

Back