Cessna 377 engine failure- loss of directional control?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
So I saw this thing on the ramp during a fuel stop at Brookneal (0V4) today. Accident apparently happened in April.

523ecde4642caaad730896789706fa60.jpg

Prelim says loss of directional control and runway overrun during an emergency landing. I assume the emergency was the rear engine since it was feathered. Front prop not feathered and bent up.

There were only two people onboard. Is the SE performance that bad? Seems like an engine failure should have been a non-event.

I think on the 337s that you get a ~500fpm decent if the rear engine is inop. I guess it turns the aft into a pretty large low pressure area if the engine isn't huffing. If that is the case, I can see how it can get nasty getting low and slow.

It is a non-event.

'Should' be a non-event?

I just found a local news report. Apparently it wasn't an engine failure. News said the door popped open at 9000' and that was the reason for the emergency landing. I'm guessing he feathered the rear engine because he was afraid something would come out and hit the prop maybe?

Still should have been a non-event.

I think on the 337s that you get a ~500fpm decent if the rear engine is inop. I guess it turns the aft into a pretty large low pressure area if the engine isn't huffing. If that is the case, I can see how it can get nasty getting low and slow.

:no: :rolleyes2:

Your information is wrong.

'Should' be a non-event?

I just found a local news report. Apparently it wasn't an engine failure. News said the door popped open at 9000' and that was the reason for the emergency landing. I'm guessing he feathered the rear engine because he was afraid something would come out and hit the prop maybe?

Still should have been a non-event.

Or maybe he had been trying to sell it, then decided to insure the hull and took a trip when his "event" happened.........:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Or maybe he had been trying to sell it, then decided to insure the hull and took a trip when his "event" happened.........:rolleyes:

:rofl:

You never know. It actually looked like a pretty nice and well maintained T337. Looks like the owner only had it for a year. A Sheriffs Dept had it before him.

Seems strange. Door popped open but the rear prop is feathered and it landed gear up? Did someone maybe fall apart with the stress of dealing with an open door? WTF.

Great plane with good single engine handling characteristics. Must have had a lot on his mind.

A guy came in to my home field gear up a few weeks ago because he was distracted by an electrical failure.......in a King Air. It happens.

Seems strange. Door popped open but the rear prop is feathered and it landed gear up? Did someone maybe fall apart with the stress of dealing with an open door? WTF.

Gear was down....but the nose wheel and right wheel were ripped off when it departed the side of the runway.

Back