Cardiac stress test - any potential pitfalls?

A

anonymous

My father has a history of heart problems, having a triple bypass when he was 65. So far, I do not have any "known" issues at 47, except what appears to be a genetic disposition toward high cholesterol.

Due to my father's history, at my last checkup, my doctor offered to refer me to a cardiologist if I wanted, saying he could do a cardiac stress test just to see how things looked in that regard. It was worded as an "offer", not really even rising to a suggestion or recommendation, just "we could do this if you want".

I am reading conflicting medical opinions on the internet as to whether that's really warranted or necessary or not, but that's not really my question.

I am a working pilot, have a Class 2 medical and hopefully soon will have a job that requires a Class 1. I do get 30-45 minutes of aerobic exercise at least 5 days a week. I do not have any heart or chest pain or any problem exerting myself.

If the stress test comes back with undesirable indications, like I have 70% blockage or something, will that in and of itself (lacking any other symptoms) cause a problem for my medical?

I wouldn’t get the stress test and yes it can affect your medical because if it shows an issue you are grounded until it is resolved.

FAA came back 8 months after my 3rd class for an unremarkable stress test I had a year ago. Paperwork returned. Who knows when the next round of questions will come.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back