Can I get 1st class medical if I have been to a mental facility

M

Mhy Alzar

Hello, I am wanting to become an airline pilot and want to start my flight training but I am afraid that my past history will hinder me from getting my 1st class medical. It was during my teenage year when my depression and anxiety phase happened, which is about 4 years ago. I was 16 when I first started to get on depression and anxiety medications. I have been off from all medication for almost 3 years now and have not had any anxiety or depression, I am 21 now. Although, during the pandemic, while during my depression phase and the height of my teenage years, I felt really low and my family checked me in a mental facility as I had somewhat of a suicidal ideation and was release after 5 days. That was in 2020. I stopped taking all medication since end of 2021 and have been good mentally ever since. Do I disclose all of this information when I do the MedXpress online and with the AME doctor? I don't want to hurt my chance of getting my 1st class medical, what do I do?

Just remember, if you lie, its' a class 4 felony. And they CAN make it stick. then you can't get hired to work even in a convenience store..... :(

Why is it that it's always, "is the guy lying?"
If your admission was done on insurance, the footprint is huge and is easily findable. Even from the pharmacy database, and the epic (commercial database). You'll be looking over your shoulder FOREVER b4 it comes crashing down....

B

Just remember, if you lie, its' a class 4 felony. And they CAN make it stick. then you can't get hired to work even in a convenience store..... :(

Why is it that it's always, "is the guy lying?"
If your admission was done on insurance, the footprint is huge and is easily findable. Even from the pharmacy database, and the epic (commercial database). You'll be looking over your shoulder FOREVER b4 it comes crashing down....

B
Thank you for the response. Would the history that I have, would this be an automatic decline from the FAA? What other process or options do I have to get an approval?

Wouldn’t this qualify for the 10 year recovery life test where if no meds, symptoms and treatment for 10 years and he could apply, so 7 years from now. Of course then would have to do the psych evals and what not. and obviously no recurrence.

There is an unspoken requirement after any suicide admission (self harm or harm to others) that you cannot be considered for ten years. But to know that that applies to you, someone knowledgable would have to read the ACTUAL record.

In the meantime, you could get a sport pilot license with only your driver's license, and fly light sport aircraft.

Back