Blackstone Lab Turn Around Time

Mooney Fan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
I have used them since 2018. Yet I am becoming more concerned with their turn around time. I have a sample in they processed as 'received' 5-July.

They used to have a much quicker turn around which is beneficial if your engine has an issue.

I reached out to them and got a response back that essentially they are very busy and to expect 16-18 business days from receipt.

What other companies are you folks using and do they have quicker turn-around times?

Thx
MF

We use ALS Tribology, I buy their advanced pre-paid kits in bulk, they have a lab up in Phoenix so barring any USPS tomfoolery it's a 1 day trip with USPS from the shop to them. They _usually_ turn it within 7 days. I have had a few outliers that took 2-3 weeks, but generally we get the results back within a week. Looking back at the last dozen reports, the fastest was 4 days between sample date and email report and longest was 22 days. Most were 8-9 days (this includes the USPS time).

Yes blackstone turnaround times have increased significantly. At one time I had 3 samples outstanding for the same plane.

I hear that if you don't use their mailer, and over night the sample it gets put in the queue right away and doesn't have to wait for the person that opens all the samples from the mailers. In addition to all the aviation ones they do, they also do quite a bit of fleet analysis. So if yours is the next one to be opened and a big box comes in from a trucking company, guess which one gets opened first.

Back