BFR and Part 107 UAS

hawkdoc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hawkdoc
I am current and complete my Part 107 UAS course on Wings. Does the issuance of that certificate count for the restart of my 24 months for my next BFR?

14 cfr 61.56

I am current and complete my Part 107 UAS course on Wings. Does the issuance of that certificate count for the restart of my 24 months for my next BFR?

No. See 14 CFR 61.56(d). Adding to your pilot certificate resets the flight review clock. A remote pilot certificate under part 107 is not a pilot certificate under part 61. This is clarified in 14 CFR 61.8.

What part of your drone course involved flight instruction?

Last edited:
No. See 14 CFR 61.56(d). Adding to your pilot certificate resets the flight review clock. A remote pilot certificate under part 107 is not a pilot certificate under part 61. This is clarified in 14 CFR 61.8.
I thought that sounded too good to be true!

I thought that sounded too good to be true!
What got me is that it shows up in FAASafety as a "Certificate". I thought it would be odd to be able to update my BFR date with it, but wasn't sure.

What got me is that it shows up in FAASafety as a "Certificate". I thought it would be odd to be able to update my BFR date with it, but wasn't sure.
You can renew a flight review through the WINGS - Pilot Proficiency Program, but flight instruction remains a component.

Well, it is a "certificate." So are the ones for a aircraft mechanic, and a Part 121 dispatcher. But that doesn't make any of them:

"A pilot proficiency check or practical test conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege."​
or​
"A practical test conducted by an examiner for the issuance of a flight instructor certificate, an additional rating on a flight instructor certificate, renewal of a flight instructor certificate, or reinstatement of a flight instructor certificate."​

Yes. You have to read what it says rather than what you think it might say. Words are funny that way.

QFT:

One of my Profs said, "Never paraphrase a statute."
One of mine too. UCC course.

But it’s more than that. Most aviators are not lawyers and get unnecessarily scared of reading the regs. I joke about the regulatory diseases but I see them as real phenomena. So we create shortcuts and end up thinking the shortcut is what the reg says. It’s not. And leads to errors.

Regaphobia and Regulitis - related but different

Regaphobia. A self-fulfilling, irrational fear of reading regulations based on a belief they are incomprehensible. The sufferer simply avoids even trying.

Regulitis. Psychological conditon which causes people of average or better intelligence to lose basic reading comprehension skills when looking at regulations. It is sometimes associated with the FAA-Anon movement whose followers believe all FARs have hidden meanings.

Fortunately, regulitis is a psychological condition as opposed to the more serious Reglexia, which is a neurological condition.

Last edited:
Regulitis. Psychological conditon which causes people of average or better intelligence to lose basic reading comprehension skills when looking at regulations. It is sometimes associated with the FAA-Anon movement whose followers believe all FARs have hidden meanings.

Is there a similar terms for the condition which causes people of average or better intelligence to lose basic reading comprehension skills when reading posts?

(not taking a shot at anyone specifically...)

Is there a similar terms for the condition which causes people of average or better intelligence to lose basic reading comprehension skills when reading posts?

(not taking a shot at anyone specifically...)
Nah. That's not lack of comprehension. It's mostly inattention.

Back