Best way to create and use custom checklists (electronic vs paper)?

akpao

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
akpao
I've been using the trusty CheckMate checklists since day one, but I'm getting to a point where I'd like to make some custom additions/modifications.

My leaning is to keep it simple and just use custom Foreflight checklists.
I like that this gives the ability to modify a checklist instantly and easily, I can't physically lose it, and I always have a backup on my phone.
On the other hand, the checklist functionality in FF seems kind of clunky, initial set up might be a pain, and I think I'd need to keep a paper checklist in the cockpit as backup because I can't imagine tabbing over on FF in an emergency scenario.

With paper, I could typeset and print/laminate my own, but that of course adds difficulty in making changes or updates and is even more work to get started with.

Would be grateful for thoughts and guidance!

I made a PDF that I put into the ForeFlight documents section. I have my iPad horizontally mounted so it’s sideways. It’s about 10 pages and has all the V speeds and power setting as well.

Checklist - Arrow.jpg

I made a PDF that I put into the ForeFlight documents section. I have my iPad horizontally mounted so it’s sideways. It’s about 10 pages and has all the V speeds and power setting as well.

View attachment 133234
That's a great idea to split the difference between paper and digital. Do you keep a paper copy, too? Thank you.

I use Word and follow the same format for whatever plane I’m flying. The checklist has mostly just the killer items - things that if not done can bend metal or cause a dead battery or fouled plugs and such.

It’s also set up to complete as many tasks as possible before taxiing, to reduce pilot workload when the plane is moving, and to minimize time in the runup area. Flow and check is what I use, rather than read-and-do (or in the case of SureCheck read-and-do and do the same thing again a couple times elsewhere). There is zero need for things like Throttle - Full or Brakes - Release on the takeoff list. May as well have a checklist for turns: Heading turning to - Confirm; Yoke - Turn; Rudder - Apply as needed; Compass - Monitor; Yoke - Wings level.

The Before Takeoff items can be split if there is a wait at the runway. Do the runup items (“complete to the line”) and do the below-the-line items when cleared to enter the runway.

After Takeoff had an RPM reduction to comply with Hartzell’s restriction due to the electronic ignition. Otherwise I’d stay balls to the wall to cruise altitude.

Attachments

• IMG_0952.jpeg
    IMG_0952.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0953.png
    IMG_0953.png
    670.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Despite being mostly paperless, I found that I preferred paper checklists. I have electronic checklists also (Goose/MiraCheck is very customizable) but mostly use them when instructing.

I also have my “paper” checklists on my tablet as backup. (I think of pdf as paper-equivalent rather than electronic.

Last edited:
I use Word and follow the same format for whatever plane I’m flying. The checklist has mostly just the killer items - things that if not done can bend metal or cause a dead battery or fouled plugs and such.

It’s also set up to complete as many tasks as possible before taxiing, to reduce pilot workload when the plane is moving, and to minimize time in the runup area. Flow and check is what I use, rather than read-and-do (or in the case of SureCheck read-and-do and do the same thing again a couple times elsewhere). There is zero need for things like Throttle - Full or Brakes - Release on the takeoff list. May as well have a checklist for turns: Heading turning to - Confirm; Yoke - Turn; Rudder - Apply as needed; Compass - Monitor; Yoke - Wings level.

The Before Takeoff items can be split if there is a wait at the runway. Do the runup items (“complete to the line”) and do the below-the-line items when cleared to enter the runway.

After Takeoff had an RPM reduction to comply with Hartzell’s restriction due to the electronic ignition. Otherwise I’d stay balls to the wall to cruise altitude.
Both my paper an electronic checklists are like that.

Watching. I created my 172 checklist in 1993. My club wants a checklist all club members can use and I signed up. Somehow I can't put my hands on my 1993 Excel doc.

In the event of an off-field landing, a paper checklist is less of a projectile than an unsecured iPad.

This is helpful, thank you. I totally agree with you on "unnecessary" items. Not only are they somewhat silly but they just take attention away from the items that are actually important.

Despite being mostly paperless, I found that I preferred paper checklists. I have electronic checklists also (Goose/MiraCheck is very customizable) but mostly use them when instructing.

I also have my “paper” checklists on my tablet as backup. (I thing of off as paper-equivalent rather than electronic.

I've historically been in the same boat. The lack of customization with paper checklists (and a couple times that paper checklists have ended up falling to the floor) is making me re-consider what works best for me.

In the event of an off-field landing, a paper checklist is less of a projectile than an unsecured iPad.

It's an interesting and valid point. I have my iPad mounted on a RAM mount in a pivot case whenever I'm flying, so that risk (though mitigated if secured properly) is there regardless.

The lack of customization with paper checklists…
I’m not sure what you mean by “lack of customization.” My paper checklists have been customized since my student pilot days. I’ve flown about 30 different types of single engine airplanes and write a custom checklist for each. I even have custom checklist pages for different avionics.

The first thing I do when being introduced to a new airplane is go through the POH with my checklist template on screen

Since I use Foreflight on an iPad mini for essentially everything at this point, I also moved my checklists into there. I still have a stock flipbook of paper ones, but use the customized lists on the iPad.

Watching. I created my 172 checklist in 1993. My club wants a checklist all club members can use and I signed up. Somehow I can't put my hands on my 1993 Excel doc.
This thread made me look. I was doing it before then, but the oldest I found was the Bonanza V35 checklist I began working on in 1998. There are both Word and WordPerfect versions of the document.

I’m not sure what you mean by “lack of customization.” My paper checklists have been customized since my student pilot days. I’ve flown about 30 different types of single engine airplanes and write a custom checklist for each. I even have custom checklist pages for different avionics.

The first thing I do when being introduced to a new airplane is go through the POH with my checklist template on screen
I should have been clearer, I meant not being able to customize "on the fly" (vs. updating, re-printing, etc) as compared to an electronic checklist.

Though this thread is making me realize it's really not as big of a deal as it was in my head!

I'm just hear to c farts.
I like pnumonics Pre-descent checklist

Compass (DG matches)
Fuel (Fullest tank)
ATIS
Runway in use (and estimate crosswind)
TPA
Safety (Clean up cockpit, fasten shoulder straps)

On taking the runway I want to be happy.

Boost pump on (if applicable)
Heading matches runway
Ailerons for the wind
Airspeed alive
Power coming up
Pitch up
Y Vy

Off the runway BC FLAGS
B Boost pump off (if applicable)
C Cowl flaps open (if applicable)

F Flaps up
L Lean
A Air
G Contact Ground
S Squawk VFR

I've been using the trusty CheckMate checklists since day one, but I'm getting to a point where I'd like to make some custom additions/modifications.

My leaning is to keep it simple and just use custom Foreflight checklists.
I like that this gives the ability to modify a checklist instantly and easily, I can't physically lose it, and I always have a backup on my phone.
On the other hand, the checklist functionality in FF seems kind of clunky, initial set up might be a pain, and I think I'd need to keep a paper checklist in the cockpit as backup because I can't imagine tabbing over on FF in an emergency scenario.

With paper, I could typeset and print/laminate my own, but that of course adds difficulty in making changes or updates and is even more work to get started with.

Would be grateful for thoughts and guidance!
Paper and laminate is what I do.

I never seem to be done modifying my checklist. So I created one in word. It's two pages and formatted in 3 columns

I get it laminated thru Staples online, double sided.

I created it in 3 columns so that after it's laminated (thinist lamination) I then tri-fold it.

I store it jammed into the right side of my seat so it's always right next to my hip.

Mnemonics don’t work that well for me. Example, GUMP - currently, I’m flying an Ercoupe. If the engine is running, then the gas is on. Fixed gear, have yet to fly above 2000 MSL (in fact, in the 20+ years the plane has been at our airpark, I may well be the first to take it above 1200), fixed prop. The only landing item is carb heat.

Whatever plane I have, time gets spent before flying to develop a flow. Compare the POH, manufacturer’s checklists, and how the systems operate and interact with where the controls are placed. My RV-8 had a fairly well thought out cockpit that an inverted U worked for everything. For a typical 172 or Cherokee, a T works.

But those generic mass market checklists are a mess from multiple standpoints - clarity, efficiency, effectiveness, systems.

My RV-8 had a fairly well thought out cockpit that an inverted U worked for everything.
FlightSafety used to teach an “inverted L flow” for starting the Falcon 10…the instructors didn’t much care for it when we called it the “7 check.” Apparently it doesn’t sound as sophisticated. ;)

Oooh, good thread. I've been messing around with this again lately myself.

ForeFlight does have the ability to read your checklists to you which is nice, but getting them entered in the first place is a bit annoying - I want to do it on a computer with a big screen and a physical keyboard, but you can't enter ForeFlight checklists online... Bummer.

The other thing I've been looking at is Goose. The company is a merger of MiraChek and AeroSys, and they're looking to create "your digital copilot". It has the ability to interact with ForeFlight in a few ways.

Also, while ForeFlight simply reads the checklist at a certain pace until you push a button or it's over, Goose allows you to start the checklist via voice command and then lets you respond "Check" or "Skip" for each item before it reads the next. They also have a challenge-and-response mode where Goose reads the challenge and you do the response, but the on-device voice recognition doesn't seem to be quite ready for prime time just yet.

I'm still doing some experimenting with it, and I'll certainly report back once I get somewhere.

This is an interesting device that I would use in addition to regular check list / as a double check prior to take off and landing. This sits on your glare shield. I think I would make custom labels for my specific aircraft.

ForeFlight does have the ability to read your checklists to you which is nice, but getting them entered in the first place is a bit annoying - I want to do it on a computer with a big screen and a physical keyboard, but you can't enter ForeFlight checklists online... Bummer.

The other thing I've been looking at is Goose. The company is a merger of MiraChek and AeroSys, and they're looking to create "your digital copilot". It has the ability to interact with ForeFlight in a few ways.

Also, while ForeFlight simply reads the checklist at a certain pace until you push a button or it's over, Goose allows you to start the checklist via voice command and then lets you respond "Check" or "Skip" for each item before it reads the next. They also have a challenge-and-response mode where Goose reads the challenge and you do the response, but the on-device voice recognition doesn't seem to be quite ready for prime time just yet.

I'm still doing some experimenting with it, and I'll certainly report back once I get somewhere.
Goose is excellent.

Goose looks really interesting, thanks for that recommendation.

On the editing flow in Foreflight, I agree, it's somewhat clunky. I ended up connecting an old Bluetooth keyboard to my iPad Mini temporarily so that I could type in more easily, which made the process a lot easier. I do wish they had the ability to edit on desktop.

I use a label maker and even label the RPM/MP settings

I also have my “paper” checklists on my tablet as backup. (I think of pdf as paper-equivalent rather than electronic.
I love the concept of the checklist in Foreflight. But since many of my IFR pre approach checklists require referencing the plate in foreflight I find switching back and forth distracting. I may would like Goose as I could pull it over with multitasking but not sure since I'm portrait mode on my ipad. Still keep the paper custom checklist on my kneepad and use it about 80% of the time due to the above

I love the concept of the checklist in Foreflight. But since many of my IFR pre approach checklists require referencing the plate in foreflight I find switching back and forth distracting. I may would like Goose as I could pull it over with multitasking but not sure since I'm portrait mode on my ipad. Still keep the paper custom checklist on my kneepad and use it about 80% of the time due to the above
The other thing I've considered is taking out my phone to use FF checklists, which I keep accessible as a backup FF device anyway. I haven't really properly considered the pros/cons yet.

That’s much of the reason I still use paper too. The other is that I simply find it more efficient.

View attachment 133234
I'm kinda known for hating mnemonics so take this with a grain of salt.

If mnemonics are so great, why do they need to be written down? Maybe need a mnemonic mnemonic? :fingerwag:

I have Garmin Pilot on my tablet and phone. I can run the checklist on the phone, which is helpful because it also has a built-in flashlight.

I use my own custom paper checklist, but I don't laminate. I just use clear sleeves. https://www.amazon.com/KTRIO-Heavyw...+sheet+protectors+8.5x7.5,aps,258&sr=8-5&th=1 It's easy to slip a sheet out and mark it up if necessary, or to print a new sheet to slip in.

I use split rings to bind the sheet protectors into a booklet. https://www.amazon.com/KTRIO-Heavyw...+sheet+protectors+8.5x7.5,aps,258&sr=8-5&th=1

I arrange my checklist so that everything needed for a particular phase (preflight, runup, etc.) is on no more that two sheets, so they can be back-to-back and I'm not turning pages. When one phase is complete, I turn the page and don't have to look at that section any more.

This method means that, unlike the CheckMate and similar lists, I'm only showing what I need at any given time. The list is much less cluttered and I can use larger fonts for easier reading. I can also highlight or bold critical items. Each phase's sheet has a colored border (brown for preflight, green for taxi/runup, blue for in-flight, red for emergency) and I have a tab attached to the emergency checklist for quick access.

My checklist probably has items which others would consider unneccessary, but the reason they're there is that I've forgotten them a time or two. The list is as specific to my needs as it is to the airplane. With my booklet format, though, I can include those things without the list becoming cluttered or hard to read.

I use my own custom paper checklist, but I don't laminate. I just use clear sleeves. https://www.amazon.com/KTRIO-Heavyweight-Protectors-Plastic-Protector/dp/B09NPX56NV/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1LQ7HKHB1RSAI&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.P6SW2HPWRc2KDmXMX0yTtES0j8YlkiOoJ5r1ih5kYeZrZ5y-uAzx_r7LUTX8NELO_JorL3HsiuxwPql6mlBmReU7kJgu6x4m0lWKRISw-p6cprQiYVWDB9moblrGOuP3ArBgEN8rpzfXhiguHh6pmQGBksTHVz0NlI0z0TMHNR3sAoyZZVU1kjRiIYGRBwrlQjF4Yj78urE80Abgu06ecLSx1LyxxNo50dFGPCjb0YaOYJTAcgcA0fMiBvCRq4o_w865JuvpUU3FKXZ_OXAuTMVVOYMGhtvthRkQ0Saesmo.-LfNHiOLgPPguqRQcGCDgk7nkFHyi2UE19OXzvf9pO4&dib_tag=se&keywords=clear+sheet+protectors+8.5x7.5&qid=1725895993&sprefix=clear+sheet+protectors+8.5x7.5,aps,258&sr=8-5&th=1 It's easy to slip a sheet out and mark it up if necessary, or to print a new sheet to slip in.

I use split rings to bind the sheet protectors into a booklet. https://www.amazon.com/KTRIO-Heavyweight-Protectors-Plastic-Protector/dp/B09NPX56NV/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1LQ7HKHB1RSAI&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.P6SW2HPWRc2KDmXMX0yTtES0j8YlkiOoJ5r1ih5kYeZrZ5y-uAzx_r7LUTX8NELO_JorL3HsiuxwPql6mlBmReU7kJgu6x4m0lWKRISw-p6cprQiYVWDB9moblrGOuP3ArBgEN8rpzfXhiguHh6pmQGBksTHVz0NlI0z0TMHNR3sAoyZZVU1kjRiIYGRBwrlQjF4Yj78urE80Abgu06ecLSx1LyxxNo50dFGPCjb0YaOYJTAcgcA0fMiBvCRq4o_w865JuvpUU3FKXZ_OXAuTMVVOYMGhtvthRkQ0Saesmo.-LfNHiOLgPPguqRQcGCDgk7nkFHyi2UE19OXzvf9pO4&dib_tag=se&keywords=clear+sheet+protectors+8.5x7.5&qid=1725895993&sprefix=clear+sheet+protectors+8.5x7.5,aps,258&sr=8-5&th=1

I arrange my checklist so that everything needed for a particular phase (preflight, runup, etc.) is on no more that two sheets, so they can be back-to-back and I'm not turning pages. When one phase is complete, I turn the page and don't have to look at that section any more.

This method means that, unlike the CheckMate and similar lists, I'm only showing what I need at any given time. The list is much less cluttered and I can use larger fonts for easier reading. I can also highlight or bold critical items. Each phase's sheet has a colored border (brown for preflight, green for taxi/runup, blue for in-flight, red for emergency) and I have a tab attached to the emergency checklist for quick access.

My checklist probably has items which others would consider unneccessary, but the reason they're there is that I've forgotten them a time or two. The list is as specific to my needs as it is to the airplane. With my booklet format, though, I can include those things without the list becoming cluttered or hard to read.
This is a nice way of doing it, thanks for sharing. I agree with you on the "unnecessary" items. Standard checklists for my aircraft rarely include resetting the fuel totalizer, but I realized it needed to be on my checklist the first time I forgot it.

I use my own custom paper checklist, but I don't laminate. I just use clear sleeves. https://www.amazon.com/KTRIO-Heavyw...+sheet+protectors+8.5x7.5,aps,258&sr=8-5&th=1 It's easy to slip a sheet out and mark it up if necessary, or to print a new sheet to slip in.
I'm similar but a different sleeve. I got one of these ages ago. The company is still around and sells just the pages too. Since they were designed for military flight crews, they are heavier and less likely to tear.
1725899155627.png

This is a nice way of doing it, thanks for sharing. I agree with you on the "unnecessary" items. Standard checklists for my aircraft rarely include resetting the fuel totalizer, but I realized it needed to be on my checklist the first time I forgot it.

Yep. I use my panel clock as a fuel timer, and I have to reset it whenever I refill the tanks, so it's a checklist item. And I can't tell you how many times I've drained the batteries in my ANR headset by leaving it on, so now that's on my shutdown checklist. And so on.

Back