Best first plane for under $100k

Awoods

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Awoods
Hello!

My husband and I both have our PPL's and are working on our instrument ratings. We are wanting to buy a plane for $100k or under and hoping to get some input on the best planes. It will mainly just be my husband and I flying, but we want to be able to take friends on occasion. Our flights will mainly be cross country (400-800 NM). We don't mind the speed of a 172, at least for now.

-4 seater
-IFR
-upgraded avionics like dual G5's and a Garmin GPS
-something our local(ish) mechanics can work on and we don't have to wait forever for parts on
-fixed gear

What can we get in this price range that you think would be a good fit? Thanks for all the input!

Couple things that I believe are important for getting an IFR aircraft is: Minimum of 180HP and parts availability.
When doing departures and altitude flying you need enough power that you can fulfill the request of the controllers and departure procedures.

Many aircraft are not supported and the parts are getting more difficult to acquire. Cessna, Piper, Mooney, most Beech are still finding unique parts when necessary. Many aircraft are less expensive because they have maintenance issues without a resolution. Most mechanics that do pre-buy inspections know which aircraft are becoming obsolete.

Find the mechanic you're going to use before you go shopping for an aircraft. Get an A&P that's willing to help you find and inspect the planes first.

I think you will be fairly lucky to find a 4-seater for that price that also has an upgraded panel.

There are a bunch of 4-seater IFR capable airplanes at that price, but they almost all seem to have pretty old equipment:

Having said that, there is a Mooney M20C on that website that has 2 G5s and a Garmin GMA-345: $89,000

IIRC Those Mooneys have very little space in the back seats, though, and the engine and prop have a lot of hours on them, which is probably why it's priced so low.

Couple things that I believe are important for getting an IFR aircraft is: Minimum of 180HP and parts availability.
When doing departures and altitude flying you need enough power that you can fulfill the request of the controllers and departure procedures.

Many aircraft are not supported and the parts are getting more difficult to acquire. Cessna, Piper, Mooney, most Beech are still finding unique parts when necessary. Many aircraft are less expensive because they have maintenance issues without a resolution. Most mechanics that do pre-buy inspections know which aircraft are becoming obsolete.

Find the mechanic you're going to use before you go shopping for an aircraft. Get an A&P that's willing to help you find and inspect the planes first.
Thank you for all the advice! Is there a huge difference between 160 vs 180 HP? A lot of the planes we have been looking at only have 150-160 HP.

Luckily one of the CFI's we flew with is also an A&P at our flight school. We trust him, so we will either have him or someone he recommends help us.

I think you will be fairly lucky to find a 4-seater for that price that also has an upgraded panel.

There are a bunch of 4-seater IFR capable airplanes at that price, but they almost all seem to have pretty old equipment:

Having said that, there is a Mooney M20C on that website that has 2 G5s and a Garmin GMA-345: $89,000

IIRC Those Mooneys have very little space in the back seats, though, and the engine and prop have a lot of hours on them, which is probably why it's priced so low.
Thanks!! We have seen a couple planes pop up that appear to fit our needs, but definitely not many in that price range. I don't mind if the back is tight since it will just be the 2 of us for the large majority of the time.

Back