Attention Central Texas Area Pilots

Datadriver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Datadriver
If you are flying in the vicinity of the Lampasas airport (KLZZ), you might get a kick out of talking to ARTI on the CTAF (122.8).

ARTI(pronounced "artee") stands for "Airport RealTime Information", and is a ground-based combination of avionics, radios, and software that serves as a traffic counting mechanism and information distribution system.

Within 10 miles of KLZZ you can activate the system on the CTAF using
the phrase "Lampasas ARTI". Wait for ARTI to respond on the radio with "go ahead". You can then say one of the following keywords:

altimeter
ceiling
wind
courtesy car
fuel
mechanic
notams
runway

and ARTI will read you back the corresponding information. It is always a 2 step process, get its attention, then say the keyword.

The system has FAA approval to use the radio and is also actively recording aircraft traffic into and out of KLZZ.

Last edited:
If you are flying in the vicinity of the Lampasas airport (KLZZ), you might get a kick out of talking to ARTI on the CTAF (122.8).

ARTI(pronounced "artee") stands for "Airport RealTime Information", and is a ground-based combination of avionics, radios, and software that serves as a traffic counting mechanism and information distribution system.

Within 10 miles of KLZZ you can activate the system on the CTAF using
the phrase "Lampasas ARTI". Wait for ARTI to respond on the radio with "go ahead". You can then say one of the following keywords:

altimeter
ceiling
wind
courtesy car
fuel
mechanic
notams
runway

and ARTI will read you back the corresponding information. It is always a 2 step process, get its attention, then say the keyword.

The system has FAA approval to use the radio and is also actively recording aircraft traffic into and out of KLZZ.

Big brother is getting closer to reality....:redface:

Is this the only installation? Or are there more?

I always look for good excuses to go fly... This is good enough!

A system that adds more congestion to the CTAF frequency?

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The issue I see with any of these kinds of systems is that many airports do not have discrete frequencies. For example in Taos we share the same frequency with many airports in Northern NM and Southern CO all the way to Durango. If you wait until you are below the ridge line to talk then it usually isn't and issue for the other airports. However, this time of year I routinely listen to charter jets calling from FL3whatever to check on Mr. so and so's rental car, and make sure the catering is there, and …..

This really sucks when you have to wait for a break in all that to make a traffic call.

These kinds of systems will just cause problems IMO.

Back