Aspen promax 1000 PFD

wahoos81

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wahoos81
Can anyone tell me a one button push way to sync current heading on the PFD? Haven't figured out how to do like I did with my old G5.

So if my AP is following a flight plan in NAV mode on my 530 and am given a vector by ATC to divert around airspace, and to avoid a radical change in heading when switching to HDG mode on the AP , I should use the right knob to select HDG on the Aspen and then press and hold the knob to sync with the current heading?

So if my AP is following a flight plan in NAV mode on my 530 and am given a vector by ATC to divert around airspace, and to avoid a radical change in heading when switching to HDG mode on the AP , I should use the right knob to select HDG on the Aspen and then press and hold the knob to sync with the current heading?
I thing "heading" is default so you just push and hold to sync the bug. If you would select altitude you can sync the same way.

Yes, but I go a step further. Your heading bug should always be synced with your course. In NAV/GPSS mode, every time you change course you should be either (a) turning the heading bug to the new course in anticipation of the change or (b) syncing the heading bug immediately after the change. This is not Aspen-specific. It's part of staying ahead of the airplane and being prepared for the AP to do something unexpected.

I agree with @Robert Markle about HDG being the default, but always verify that's what it's on before you turn or press that knob.

Last edited:
Wow, I’ve flow 400 hours behind an Aspen PFD and never realized that’s what the “Sync” could do, I was always turning the heading knob manually.
Learned something new from PoA today !

Wow, I’ve flow 400 hours behind an Aspen PFD and never realized that’s what the “Sync” could do, I was always turning the heading knob manually.
Learned something new from PoA today !
Syncing to current is one of those things that has become standard in the PFD/eHSI world. Aspen, Garmin, Dynon… they all have it. Across multiple functions.

Yes I always sync my heading bug on my Aspen to the current heading. If ATC gives me a heading change I first turn the heading bug to the new heading given then I hit heading on the AP. It's easier and you can then just watch the airplane turn at 15 degrees instead of turning the knob while turning. Try it it's a better way.
Joe

Back