Ashby vs Knots 2 U 1975 PA28R-200 Glareshield replacement

JC58

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JC58
For those who have replaced their glareshield. I picked up a Knots 2 u and it's really nice. However, I didn't install yet. It will need a lot of trimming thereby making its return voided. Not sure how that final version would turn out. I like the padding and feel of the material used. Although, It seems a bit flimsy. The Ashby looks solid but without padding since it's fiberglass, it too must be trimmed to fit. I have seen the other threads but none seem current. The installed glareshield to be replaced is the large padded eyebrow version with multiple fasteners attached to the instrument panel. There are 3 vents, I believe there should be only 2 for the 1975 Arrow 2. The 1977 Arrow 3 shows 3 vents and a hump, so that is an issue too. I will have to modify it to fit either replacement.

Does anyone have feedback and user experience with either? Regardless, I will remove the windshield to make the installation/trimming easier.

We installed a Knots 2 U in a 1973 28R-200. I don't remember trimming any of it and it had only 2 vents if I remember correctly. We did remove the windshield for ease of installation. It was kind of a pain to remove all the remanence of the original glareshield.

It did turn out really good though!

I installed an Ashby in my C172N. I was happy with the end result, but the install was not fun at all. There as a lot of trimming required, and the shape / contour was off in places. The material could be softened with a heat gun, but there was a VERY fine line between "not hot enough to shape" and "too hot, the material blisters." I was glad that I was not paying someone an hourly mechanic's rate to do the install.

Would be much easier if the windshield was out for replacement at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback, it does appear to be lots of work to fit the Ashby. I still plan on using it since it appears to be the best fit.

Back