Approach plates in Garmin 660

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello. Are approach plates in the software on Garmin 660? Read the Garmin specs and I still can’t tell… coaching appreciated.

Hello. Are approach plates in the software on Garmin 660? Read the Garmin specs and I still can’t tell… coaching appreciated.
Yes. If you want the government charts, Garmin calls them "FliteCharts". Your other option is Jeppesen.

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t want to overly rely on my iPad for this.
Much obliged
Dan

If you haven't purchased yet, might want to look at difference between 660 and 760 for approaches. 760 will navigate full approach, while 660 only does final segment.

660 will show plates if you buy the subscription, but the screen is quite small. I think an iPhone backup to the iPad is a better plan…then maybe the 660 for worst case scenario.

I have a 760 and the approach charts are hardly readable. It sits in a box and was replaced by a second Ipad mini6 dedicated plates and traffic.

Honestly, I think you're better off with an I pad mini and something like ForeFlight.

If you haven't purchased yet, might want to look at difference between 660 and 760 for approaches. 760 will navigate full approach, while 660 only does final segment.
I think the 660 will do the full approach, if connected to a GPS navigator like a GNS or GTN.

How does a handheld device navigate any approach?

I have a Garmin gps175. Will it Bluetooth connect to it for traffic and approaches? Thanks

Connect for Traffic? Not to the 175. The 660, like other tablets and handhelds, needs to get ADSB-In traffic and weather from your transponder or other compatible ADSB-In source.

A Garmin unit is picky on who it can “talk to”. So you’d have to have a Garmin ADSB-In transponder or a portable ADSB-In GDL 50.

You can also expand the plate to full screen and zoom in, I use it for situational awareness. If wired to a garmin radio (like the 255), you can use it to transfer frequencies.
And the 660 can only connect to 1 Bluetooth device at a time.

Thanks for the help. Really helpful

I have an Aera 660 hardwared in landscape orientation in my center stack - it talks to my GTN650/GTX345.

I kept FliteCharts for one year to try them out. When I recently renewed, I did not select them again. The screen is too small to be very useful for charts. I experimented with zooming in, etc. but ultimately moved on. The iPad is the way to go for charts. Backup with your iPhone (or another iPad) if you're concerned about redundancy. Just my suggestion.

my 660 is hardwired too and I find it VERY useful, yes you do need to zoom and see only part of the plate, but it avoids having to look down at an iPad - excuse bad photography..
1715097685951.png

Back