Anyone Running a GNS480 w/ GMX200 MFD Combination?

bigmo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
bigmo
I have a couple of questions about database updates for this combination.

New to me plane (and avionics). I surprisingly like the GNS480 interface and the GMX200 feels shockingly modern for how old it is. I'm pretty sure there are several versions of the GMX200, but mine has traffic, XM weather, and charts have been unlocked.

Ok, first - nav data update for the GNS480. Even though this is a Garmin device, it appears the update is managed only through Jep. I spent a little time on Jep's website and it looks like 'Jeppesen NavData' for North America is $349 for the annual subscription. That seems reasonable.
Question 1) The Jep nav data update is managed through Jeppesen Distribution Manager - and I'll need a PCMCIA to USB adapter right?
Question 2) When I update the database, it has to be on THAT card; or I need to clone that card using an imaging tool right? I see some threads about guys getting a couple of 512MB (meg not gig) and closing their original card so they can just swap them out.

Next, to the GMX200. I suspect that updates for this are managed through Garmin Aviation Database Manager (which I am super used to using). For the GMX200, I see options for FliteCharts and SafeTaxi.
Question 3) I have a SD card in there now that's a SafeTaxi/FliteCharts SD card branded Garmin - is there anything special about this card? Ie do I need to close it similar to the GNS480, or can I just write to any small-ish SD card and pop it in?
Question 4) Does FliteCharts for the GMX200 mean the same thing for G3X and G1000 - ie enroute, SID/STAR, and approach?

The easy solution is just update the navigator - but it works well, looks and functions like new...and the interface is pretty intuitive.

Thanks!

Thanks for this, I have a gns480 on the shelf I’m wanting to put in my ancient panel of my Aztec. I’ve always liked the GX 200 also looking at buying one going to be a fraction of the cost of the newer stuff.

I have this setup in a plane I just bought in May. Still getting used to it but From what I can tell the GMX200 displays the flight plans entered into the GNS480. I haven't worried about it too much becuase I'm still VFR but now that I am training for my IFR I am getting more interested. Happy to chat more. Here's my plane C-GWTP

Back