Any experience for Cessna 182 replacement muffler, Aerospace Welding vs Wall Colmonoy?

maverickps

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
maverickps
So I have a crack in the exhaust muffler on my 182P and am looking for a replacement muffler. Luckily my mechanic will let me buy the parts and show up to participate in the repairs.

I have come across two options,

AWI, $820-890

Wall Colmonoy, $660
https://www.chiefaircraft.com/wc-cem0002.html

Wondering if anyone has experience with either of the two, or hopefully both and can advise on which one seems better built.

This would be a good time to check the Collectors as well.

They tend to “ thin out” with time.

Peek at your Engine Mount as well.

Heat deteriorates paint and the bare steel rusts.

Heat Shields and hi- temp paint are cheaper than a Mount.

Put a Power Flow exhaust on it, you will have a great sounding aircraft making more power for only $8800.00.

I have one on a 172, have been loving it for 8 years now and over 1500 hours. It didn’t cost 8800 though!

This would be a good time to check the Collectors as well.

They tend to “ thin out” with time.

Peek at your Engine Mount as well.

Heat deteriorates paint and the bare steel rusts.

Heat Shields and hi- temp paint are cheaper than a Mount.
+1

I recently replaced my entire exhaust system with AWI components. Good fitment. Great customer service and quick shipping. My CO readings in the cockpit went from unacceptably high to virtually non-existent.

I put two of the Wall Colmony mufflers on my 182 over a period of about 15 years. Pretty good service considering the hours. No complaints on construction. AWI did not make one for my particular model year ('62).

C.

Back