An excellent primer for the FISK approach

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
http://www.airventure.org/atc/

Every year, pilots screw up the incredibly simple FISK approach in (seemingly) new and more unusal ways.

Please, please, PLEASE read the NOTAM before departure! Last year, we actually heard a woman *reading* the NOTAM to another plane on a side frequency as we approached Ripon!

Flying into OSH is safe, fun, and easy -- IF we all follow the published procedures. This EAA website is a good primer for what to expect, and how to prepare.

Hope to see some of you in OSH!

Excellent advice Jay. I'd go so far as saying if you don't read the NOTAM, please don't fly into OSH! It's not rocket science, the applicable parts of the NOTAM are easy to understand and when people follow it, it works amazingly well.

Durden makes this an annual rant in his Pilot's Lounge column, and its always a good read:

http://www.avweb.com/news/pilotlounge/pilots_lounge_128_oskhosh_arrival_198208-1.html

and this one is even better:

http://www.avweb.com/news/pilotlounge/182691-1.html

Agreed, Rick Durdan makes excellent points and is dead on right.

But if you think about it, are the people that show up at OSH without reading the NOTAM really the type of people that would ever read Durdan in the first place? :no:

Basically (hopefully), Durdan is preaching to the choir in his writings. :yes:

yes, he admits that the problem children in aviation apparently missed the read in the read,write, and speak the english language requirement. they dont read NOTAMS or regulations or safety articles.

yes, he admits that the problem children in aviation apparently missed the read in the read,write, and speak the english language requirement. they dont read NOTAMS or regulations or safety articles.

Personally, I think it's going to take some FAA enforcement action to make this right. It would only take one or two certificate actions to (maybe?) wake up the problem children who put the rest of us at risk by ignoring established procedures.

In the interim, I would like to see EAA institute the following simple procedure:

If, at check-in, you can't show a copy of the NOTAM, the cost of camping in the North 40 doubles. Simple, effective, and it helps EAA!

:yes:

I saw a nice condensed version that was printable a few days ago for this arrival. It was a parado chart or something like that. Looked kind of useful for a one page follow-along. When I find it again, I'm going to print it out.

True...sad but true.

Even preaching to the choir, Rick's message is a reminder not to become complacent. Also, if it causes someone who would not have read the NOTAM to do so, it's worth it.

I'd go so far as saying if you don't read the NOTAM, please don't fly into OSH!

That's not going far at all. That's the bare minimum! Read it, Know it, Carry it in the plane.

But if you think about it, are the people that show up at OSH without reading the NOTAM really the type of people that would ever read Durdan in the first place? :no:

That's why this year he suggested that we start the rumor that there's a $100 landing fee, waived when you show them your printed copy of the NOTAM. (Unfortunately, there are probably folks who would print it and not read it. :mad:)

For what it's worth, I just read the NOTAM and updated my simplified version of it - The Fisk VFR arrival, condensed to a single page. (You DO have to read the NOTAM for this stuff to really make sense, and this is NOT a substitute for the NOTAM. :no:)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• OSH08 simplified flowchart.pdf
    181.1 KB · Views: 17
I saw a nice condensed version that was printable a few days ago for this arrival. It was a parado chart or something like that. Looked kind of useful for a one page follow-along. When I find it again, I'm going to print it out.

Doc,

Is it the one I just attached to the previous message in this thread? If so, well, there it is. If not, hopefully this one will do the same! :yes:

Back