America's Vintage aircraft are being crated up and shipped overseas

This isn't just true in the realm of vintage aviation. Overseas buyers are snatching up all kinds of our aircraft, from vintage classics all the way on up to turboprops, bizjets, and commercial airliners. The Cheyenne I used to fly moved to the Central African Republic - its new tail number being TL-AEQ.

I'm not entirely sure what drives this exodus other than the general decline of aviation here that has driven resale prices low enough to make it worth the hassle for overseas buyers.

quite a few gliders have gone to south america lately too

Holy cow.....I think I actually know that Travel Air in the photo. My wife and daughter got a ride in it last summer when I was considering buying it. Sad to see it is leaving the country.

Interesting that the article mentions Europe. Most of the vintage/antique market in the US is being gobbled up right and left by the Aussies an New Zealanders. He WWI and pre-WWII market has been seriously booming down under. I can't explain it, but it is real.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was at my local FBO yesterday and they were crating up the lowest timed 152 in the world.400 hrs its going to Korea.

Aircraft prices here took a dump at the same time as the dollar. Makes sense they'd go overseas. If enough of them leave, maybe mine will be worth something.

I wonder if it's just a void of aircraft manufacturers coupled with many of these countries growing infrastructures/economies/etc.

I wonder if it's just a void of aircraft manufacturers coupled with many of these countries growing infrastructures/economies/etc.

I don't think so.....the particular market in question is a definite niche... The 'golden age' of flight as they say.....WWI replicas and vintage aircraft like Wacos, Travel Airs, and Fairchilds like Toms.

There was an estate auction held by Starman last year (huge collection of vintage aircraft) and many of the high dollar birds went to Aussie buyers.

The aren't gobbling up Cessnas and Pipers the same way.

Last edited:
A guy at Nut Tree ships a couple a month. Sad to see. Met a guy at the Hot August Nights auction buying to ship to Europe. Nice rods going away too.......:sad:

Last edited:
Makes sense. Now that we're becoming a third world country it makes sense that other nations are robbing us of our precious resources.

Makes sense. Now that we're becoming a third world country it makes sense that other nations are robbing us of our precious resources.

At least they aren't endangering our natural racehorses....

I don't think so.....the particular market in question is a definite niche... The 'golden age' of flight as they say.....WWI replicas and vintage aircraft like Wacos, Travel Airs, and Fairchilds like Toms.

There was an estate auction held by Starman last year (huge collection of vintage aircraft) and many of the high dollar birds went to Aussie buyers.

The aren't gobbling up Cessnas and Pipers the same way.

Yeah I was thinking about all airfraft, not just vintage. You can tell I read the thread title carefully :no:

Good riddance to old junk. We'll replace them with new Skycatchers.:D

My friends have got some very nice airplanes recently - don't worry, the vintage ones have all gone to good homes.
I got a '74 Pitts S-2A that was once Marion Cole's apparently.
A friend got a near-new Pitts S-2C.

Keep the Skycatchers.

Last edited:
what a silly article. If someone sees value in an antique and is willing to buy it to use or display, and the alternative is leave it sitting in the back of a hangar unloved and unseen, why does it matter where the buyer resides?

what a silly article. If someone sees value in an antique and is willing to buy it to use or display, and the alternative is leave it sitting in the back of a hangar unloved and unseen, why does it matter where the buyer resides?
Valid point. Althought I would point out that this isn't about barn finds. The Travel Air that was being crated up at Flabob in the article was a flyer and was being used in a successful ride outfit up to the point when it sold.

I would venture to guess that this exodus is directly related to the decrease in value of the dollar...similar to the rise in the stock market...but thats one man's opinion...

Can't blame a collector or enthusiast for taking advantage of lower pricing...

When I was in Australia in 1999-2000, the USD-AUD exchange rate was around $0.63 USD/AUD; in the time frame relatively soon thereafter, the Aussie Dollar was as low as $0.50 USD.

The Australian Dollar is now worth more than the $USD.

We're on sale, half-price ("BOGO") for the Aussies; it would be silly, indeed, for them not to buy up our goodies.

Such is the consequence of the irresponsible deficit spending our government has engaged in for way too long, and doubled-down on of late.

I would venture to guess that this exodus is directly related to the decrease in value of the dollar...similar to the rise in the stock market...but thats one man's opinion...

That certainly explains how they can outbid American buyers for the planes, but doesn't really explain the level of interest in the specific niche they are going after.

To me the bigger question is ....why are Auissies so interested in the WWI and American Golden Age aircraft?

I am not upset that they have taken the interest, I am just curious as to why the interest is so strong down under.

Such is the consequence of the irresponsible deficit spending our government has engaged in for way too long, and doubled-down on of late.

I agree that our government is engaged in some fiscally irresponsible behavior and it is screwing things over, but can we please keep this discussion out of political realm?

As I have mentioned a few times, what the article is talking about involves alot more than the strength of the dollar. Economics aside - even if our dollar was equal, they would still be trying to buy these planes....they just might not be able to buy as many.

A good thing in a way. Since there's no one to fly them here, they can go to where the pilots are. Keeping them flying is the most important things, says me.

....why are Auissies so interested in the WWI and American Golden Age aircraft?
This is one of the most popular aviation mags in Oz:
http://www.yaffa.com.au/cmag/fph.html
There was a long period when only British aircraft were imported then Cessnas and Pipers started coming in - mid '60s. For many years the choices were largely limited to Austers, Tiger Moths or ex-flying school PA-28s or 172s so we were very deprived.

Blame the Bernanke!!!

Back