Amazing Owl Video

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
This was just posted on another site. What an amazing video of an owl landing shot in slow motion at 1,000 fps.

http://www.dogwork.com/owfo8/

Talk about being in ground effect! :lol:

Notice how the leading edge feathers are disrupted by the sever AOA or stall?

I liked how he waited to extend his landing gear until the last possible moment.

Sorry Scott, I did not search.

It is amazing to watch a bird stall to loose lift right before hitting his target. In ground effect his wings are silent. Perfect preditor.
No apology necessary. I was just trying to put it all together so that when someone find this again they will much more easily locate any other comments associated with the subject. I added one word of meta data to all of the threads to also help with searching.

No apology necessary. I was just trying to put it all together so that when someone find this again they will much more easily locate any other comments associated with the subject. I added one word of meta data to all of the threads to also help with searching.

Good idea!

I found it fascinating to watch how in flight adjustments were made with his left wing and tail leaning to the left. I would love to know which direction the wind was coming from. I have watched it ten times!

Last edited:
We have a great horned owl that lives across the street. When I had the pine tree in the front yeard we would see him sitting there near the bird feeder-->squirrel attractor-->owl feeder.

He now will sit in the elms in the back yard hunting squirrels at night and making very loud hoots just outside the bedroom window. It is very cool!!!

Back