altitude encoder appears to be showing vertical speed

jssmith.lh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Goldthwaite flyer
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum.... I installed my uAvionix echoAlt and went for a test flight to get ADS-B verification. I was outside approach airspace but contacted them to let them know I was in the area and would be maneuvering. I had my baro alt up on ForeFlight so thought I would see how that compared to what they were seeing. Approach showed me at 100'. Not good news considering local elevation was about 1400' :-/ After a couple of calls it appeared my encoder was showing vertical speed. It's a Narco AR-850. Anyone seen this? The altimeter hooked to the same static line was reading fine...

Have you read this? https://uavionix.com/echouat-update/

From the article:

Specifically, in certain installation configurations and operating regions, the reporting of barometric altitude by the transponder, and relayed by echoUAT over ADS-B, may not meet the timeliness and availability required by 14 CFR 91.227.

Can't say that this has anything to do with your concern but in some cases the Echo unit can be spotty ...

Echo stuff was doing ok according to the ADS-b report. This approach doesn't have ADS-b in so it should have been the transponder encoder data they were seeing. Having said that, next flight I'll unplug the Echo stuff and see what they get.

Back