Alaska to OSH

akpilot907

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
citabriav8tr
A buddy and I are flying his North American T-28 and Bellanca Citabria down to Oshkosh from Fairbanks, Alaska... Anyone along the way headed to Osh??

Going from mass to Alaska ,then back to OSH,may pass on the way up. Leaving july9 for Fairbanks taking the highway route.

Doing the highway to Fairbanks ,then depending on weather a few other stops.

18 July we depart... We're planning to make Whitehorse the first night. We will prolly pass eachother. Let's keep in touch.

18 July we depart... We're planning to make Whitehorse the first night. We will prolly pass eachother. Let's keep in touch.

Sounds good will keep an eye out.

Doing the highway to Fairbanks ,then depending on weather a few other stops.

Have a great trip! We took the hiway to Northway and the anchorage. There was no fuel in Northway, so it's either Tok, or tanker enough to get you to Galenta after clearing customs. Tok is 15 min north of Northway.

If you hit Fairbanks first it's an easy run in the valley from Tok.
From Fairbanks, hit the Denali highway to Talketna and then Anchorage. A trip to Homer across the Kenai is worth it.

Anchorage back to Tok and then Whitehorse is a good day. Some passes between Anchorage and Tok. But FSS have good cameras you can view on the web before you go.

The traffic into Merrill Field, class C, would put most Class B operations to shame. Read up part 93 and be ready for it.

Here's the crew!

Attachments

• 10293836_10204099458710816_185477425436286881_o.jpg
    10293836_10204099458710816_185477425436286881_o.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 51
Have a great trip! We took the hiway to Northway and the anchorage. There was no fuel in Northway, so it's either Tok, or tanker enough to get you to Galenta after clearing customs. Tok is 15 min north of Northway.

If you hit Fairbanks first it's an easy run in the valley from Tok.
From Fairbanks, hit the Denali highway to Talketna and then Anchorage. A trip to Homer across the Kenai is worth it.

Anchorage back to Tok and then Whitehorse is a good day. Some passes between Anchorage and Tok. But FSS have good cameras you can view on the web before you go.

The traffic into Merrill Field, class C, would put most Class B operations to shame. Read up part 93 and be ready for it.

I've lived in the Fairbanks area for 3 years now... Best place on earth to fly stick and rudder acft with no radios! VFR Flight Following?? What's THAT!?! Merrill Field is a busy airport to get into, but if you're smart about it, you'll fly the eastern Coridor... Over fly Birchwood, east of Bryant AAF, and avoid Elmendorf's traffic... You're home free at that point!

I haven't made it to Homer or Kenai... But I have been down the turnagain arm and Valdez.

My buddy Lee, keep an eye on him! Don't let him do anything you will regret!:D

Have a great trip, now those two planes seem to have a mismatch with cruise speeds. Do you plan to meet up at the next airport or what's the plan? Taking the 2 planes, right?

Have a great trip, now those two planes seem to have a mismatch with cruise speeds. Do you plan to meet up at the next airport or what's the plan? Taking the 2 planes, right?

Our plan is leap frog (Citabria departs and an hour after, T-28 launches...) through Canada. Once we clear the mountains following the ALCAN, we'll go on our own to OSH. Mostly playing it by ear.

N887N (T-28) and N8896 (Citabria) We'll be parked at camping while the T-28 sits at the warbird site.

Anyone have any "Must See/ Do's" on the way? We'll be popping out near Lethbridge/ Cut Bank area...

I flew to AK and back in 1992, started in MS with the future wife. It was a GREAT trip from start to finish. We would 'make hay while the sun was shining' so to speak. Got grounded just a bit for weather, not really more than 1/2 day here or there.

A few of the smaller airports and FBO's were fantastic. One in MT even showed me where his loaded shotgun was kept in case I needed it. He gave us the run of the place overnight.

Have a great trip, safe too. It's been a little damp in WI lately. I'm hoping it run's it's course and is dryer for Airventure.

Anyone have any "Must See/ Do's" on the way? We'll be popping out near Lethbridge/ Cut Bank area...

Yes. Stay away from Medicine Hat. Got grounded there about thirty years ago before I was IFR due to dense fog for three days.

The roller derby was in town. I've ridden elevators in the bad parts of New York and Joisey, but I've never been scared until I got into an elevator in Medicine Hat with half a dozen of those roller skate queens. LORDY, I've never seen that kind of muscle on any guy, much less those babes.

Jim

Yes. Stay away from Medicine Hat. Got grounded there about thirty years ago before I was IFR due to dense fog for three days.

The roller derby was in town. I've ridden elevators in the bad parts of New York and Joisey, but I've never been scared until I got into an elevator in Medicine Hat with half a dozen of those roller skate queens. LORDY, I've never seen that kind of muscle on any guy, much less those babes.

Jim

That's my biggest worry, second behind maintenance delays... Hoping for good weather all the way through... Even though I'm instrument rated... Fabricated VFR Citabria's don't do well :)

First it was weax, now a maintenance problem in AK for the Two CT fliers heading for OSH. One bird won't start and there is very little Rotax help in Nome. The fact that it's the very new fuel injected 912 doesn't help.

First it was weax, now a maintenance problem in AK for the Two CT fliers heading for OSH. One bird won't start and there is very little Rotax help in Nome. The fact that it's the very new fuel injected 912 doesn't help.

OH! That's no good... Now, I'm not familiar with those CT aircraft, can't you just hand prop them...?? I'm used to flying acft without radios or starters...

Welcome to "BUSH" Country... Are they having someone from Fairbanks fly out and help??

OH! That's no good... Now, I'm not familiar with those CT aircraft, can't you just hand prop them...??
Because of the very high compression, the speed required to start the engine, and the slipper clutch, the 100hp Rotax 912 can't be hand propped. I've seen the 80HP 912 hand-proppped, but never the 100HP.

Back