Airplane price difference

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Is it just me or is there a big price difference for airplanes of the same make/model/equipment that are advertised on the different websites? I have been looking for airplane #3 and when checking Trade a plane, Barnstormers and Aerotrader, the asking price maybe as much as 10K different. Trade a plane seems to be the highest, with Aerotrader close behind. I have even seen the same plane advertised on TAP and Barnstormers with a 8K difference.:dunno:

Is it just me or is there a big price difference for airplanes of the same make/model/equipment that are advertised on the different websites? I have been looking for airplane #3 and when checking Trade a plane, Barnstormers and Aerotrader, the asking price maybe as much as 10K different. Trade a plane seems to be the highest, with Aerotrader close behind. I have even seen the same plane advertised on TAP and Barnstormers with a 8K difference.:dunno:

Depends on if it is being brokered or not. Sometimes brokers set any price they think they can get.

Dan

Like it or not, different web sites tend to attract different kinds of sellers. ASO seems to have more very well-kept -- and highly priced -- aircraft thru brokers. Barnstormers seems to be more of a do-it-yourself market where the equipment isn't necessarily as pristine. TAP and Controller are a little harder to quantify, but TAP seems to be more old school "it is what it is" and Controller is kind of a "yuppie airplane" market.

Total time on the airframe makes a difference, and don't forget TBO... if you may wind up shelling out thousands for the engine in the near future, that can drive the price down a bit. Then there's "annual due", "some damage history", etc.
As for equipment: I've been researching, if not actually shopping for, C-140s, and there's an example of how a more "stock" VFR-only bird can have more value (all other things being equal) than one with metallized wings, extenders, updated panel, engine conversion, etc. Most prospective owners of that type want to have a "collector" type plane, so in that case, less can be more.

The whole business can be very complicated, but in the end the only relevant questions are: Can I afford it? And: Is this plane right for me and my flying plans?

If the answer to "can I afford it" is true, what plane isn't the right plane?

~ Christopher

Like it or not, different web sites tend to attract different kinds of sellers. ASO seems to have more very well-kept -- and highly priced -- aircraft thru brokers. Barnstormers seems to be more of a do-it-yourself market where the equipment isn't necessarily as pristine. TAP and Controller are a little harder to quantify, but TAP seems to be more old school "it is what it is" and Controller is kind of a "yuppie airplane" market.

Ken understood what I was talking about, it seems the different publications draw a different type of seller/buyer. I was pointing out how different the prices where for the same make/model from one to the other. So, does TAP draw better airplanes than, say, Barnstormers? or do sellers think that people buying off TAP have more money and will pay more for the plane because it was advertised there? Kind of like selling a Jaguar at a Kia dealer vs selling the same Jag at a Jag dealer. Its probably going to bring more money at the Jag dealer.

Back