Aircraft Lighting Issues

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Quite a few threads in POA talk about aircraft lighting. It gets confusing so I am just going to pose two general questions to the local think tank:
  1. As the picture illustrates, my single beacon (an old Sky-Lite F-200) sits very close the one of my comm antennas. Really can’t detect any interference in radio reception. However I want to replace this old unit with an LED beacon – any reason to believe an LED beacon should be moved further away from the antenna?
  2. Is the placement of the beacon permitted on either the top or the underside of the aircraft?
For whatever relevance it may have, the original type certificate for my aircraft was issued back in 1949. All comments much appreciated!

Old Beacon.jpg

IIRC AC43.13-2B has data for anti-collision light installations.

Coverage is measured in “steradians” which are square degrees.

It seems that realistically the the only way to get sufficient coverage

with one light is to mount it on top of the fin/rudder.

any reason to believe an LED beacon should be moved further away from the antenna?
Is the placement of the beacon permitted on either the top or the underside of the aircraft?
The answers require more info.
1) Which model aircraft?
2) Are the light/antenna factory installs? If not, any idea when and how they were installed?
3) What specific LED light will be installed? This maybe the controlling factor for your questions.

Back