Accelerated CFI training

HousPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Hi, I am in Houston area and couple of month ago got my commercial. I have since than been flying right seat and feel comfortable. I am short on time and money so wondering if there is any good accelerated CFI program that you may be able to recommend.

Thanks

CFIing isn't like the other rides, it's mostly self taught IMO, only thing the flight school does is provide a few sign offs, everything else is really up to you for the CFI ride.

Aside from the FOI, you should already know all the materieal.

Self learn everything, source out new sources for materieal (especially the FOI stuff), tutor folks at the local FBO.

Between the self study, tutoring PPL students, and the FSDO ride, my CFI was by a large margin the cheapest ride I've ever done.

I've heard American Flyers has a 2-week program that they don't advertise.
Crystal Aero Group in Florida is run by a retired Navy guy and his wife is the DPE.
ATP does a 21 day program that gets you the CFI, CFII, and MEI for $10K. But you have to already have you Comm Multi.
I think Sheble Aviation has an accelerated course as well.
Sun State Aviation also does a 21 day course.
Blue Line Aviation offers a 10 day course for the CFI and an additional 5 if you want to add the CFII.

It is really all gonna depend on you and how prepared you are.

Any recommendations for studying for the FOI (Fundamentals Of Instruction)?

I have oodles of time teaching adults, but need a primer on this particular teaching focus and testing.

Thanks.

I have oodles of time teaching adults, but need a primer on this particular teaching focus and testing.

Thanks.
The FOI stuff is mostly intuitive IMO. I used the Aviation Instructor's Handbook to study the FOI.

Thanks.

For the FOI Wikipedia has some good definitions and info for the learning styles and whatnot.

As for the costs, I was under 2k for my initial CFI.

theflyingschool.com (Jack Taylor) has a class and Taylor is (or was, not sure if he still does it) the DE for everyone that takes the class. What we did was read the FARs for 5 hours a day for a week, every one of them! Then teach them. Fly 2 hours a day for a week I think and do the Commercial maneuvers from the right seat of a 172 and flew a 172 RG I think. It was a good class. There were only 3 of us, 4 if you counted his secretary (who took the nonflying part of the class) The other two were airline wanna be types. Me, I was older and owned my own plane. We all passed. We all deserved to pass. I was at my peak of flying skill about then. I really nailed some stuff. Those young guys were all trying to outthink/outfly me, but I outthought/outflew them a bit too. All in good fun though... Bring a suit for the final day or maybe a shirt with some stripes... have some fun with it!

Back