1993 Socata Trinidad TB-20

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
I'm looking for some feedback from Socata Trinidad TB-20 pilots or mechanics. Looking for any information about performance, insurance costs (with your experience), maintenance costs, and any other thoughts you have about the plane. In this case the one that I am looking at is a 1993 model. This wasn't even on my radar, it just popped up and I am a little intrigued. I'll take any thoughts.

I'm looking for some feedback from Socata Trinidad TB-20 pilots or mechanics. Looking for any information about performance, insurance costs (with your experience), maintenance costs, and any other thoughts you have about the plane. In this case the one that I am looking at is a 1993 model. This wasn't even on my radar, it just popped up and I am a little intrigued. I'll take any thoughts.
Maintenance costs can be a bit higher due to the parts being European, and insurance really depends on your experience level, but I've seen it vary quite a bit.

Do you have a local mechanic who knows them or do you intend to pay one to learn on your plane ?

Engine and avionics are US hardware, the rest of the plane is french. Older versions are tight for tall people with big feet.

I really wanted one for a long time.

Do you have a local mechanic who knows them or do you intend to pay one to learn on your plane ?

Engine and avionics are US hardware, the rest of the plane is french. Older versions are tight for tall people with big feet.

I really wanted one for a long time.
There is a mechanic that I currently go to that has worked on the plane for years.
The avionics are old and in our case would need to be upgraded. Currently, we are all 6' and under so not an issue. I saw a guy that was 6'2" 220lbs sit in one comfortably.
Like I said, this wasn't on our radar at all, it just came up and "piqued" our interest.

There is a mechanic that I currently go to that has worked on the plane for years.

Good. Some A&Ps have a visceral hatred of the type. If you have someone local who is experienced with the type and willing to read the repair manuals before he rips into things, you are way ahead.

When I was planning to buy one, I followed the Socata forum. For every generation of the type, there are a few parts that are difficult to come by or with few shops to do rebuilds. I seem to remember that gear pumps and pressure switches on the G1 planes were an issue at one point. Routine wear parts are readily available. But that isn't different from flying an older Bonanza or 210.

The avionics are old and in our case would need to be upgraded.
That's not unique to the type and there are plenty with panel upgrades. It's just money....

Currently, we are all 6' and under so not an issue. I saw a guy that was 6'2" 220lbs sit in one comfortably.
I am 6'3" and 200 or so with size 12 shoes and the G1 aircraft were snug on headroom (but so is a bonanza).

-Good useful load
-Comfortable (for normal size humans) ,including the back seats
- two doors
- Lycoming engine (for better or worse)
- a few kts slower than a bonanza or mooney on the same fuel/HP
- good crosswind component

If you are seriously considering a TB, best to check out Socata.org website. You will need to register, but it is free. There is a lot of information there. If you still are considering a purchase there is a book (Flying the SOCATA Trinidad, Tobago and Tampico), available on Amazon which could also be helpful.

As with every aircraft brand and model there is far too much to cover in a single post or thread if you are seriously considering a purchase. Because most of us learned on a Cessna, Piper or Beech we have a much clearer picture of those aircraft.

I own a TB-20 Trinidad for now 15+ years, and have found it an excellent plane for me.

Back