Medical Exam & OCD

SeattleMFan3

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SeattleMFan3
I tried obtaining a Class 3 license in 2022, prior to realizing that my use of Paxil would result in a deferral/denial. It was prescribed to me in 2003 for OCD. I decided to shelve my dream of getting my license. The OCD has been a non-issue for almost two decades, but I continued to use the medication since my assumption has always been it's why the symptoms had vanished. After reading last year that the FAA was considering adding additional SSRI's to the list, I held out some hope that Paxil would be one of them, but it was not. I'm open to getting off the Paxil completely, but given the length of time and initial reason, wasn't sure that would make a difference with the FAA. I also would happily try one of the approved SSRI's, but again, wasn't sure if the OCD diagnosis would make this route pointless as well. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I tried obtaining a Class 3 license in 2022, prior to realizing that my use of Paxil would result in a deferral/denial. It was prescribed to me in 2003 for OCD. I decided to shelve my dream of getting my license. The OCD has been a non-issue for almost two decades, but I continued to use the medication since my assumption has always been it's why the symptoms had vanished. After reading last year that the FAA was considering adding additional SSRI's to the list, I held out some hope that Paxil would be one of them, but it was not. I'm open to getting off the Paxil completely, but given the length of time and initial reason, wasn't sure that would make a difference with the FAA. I also would happily try one of the approved SSRI's, but again, wasn't sure if the OCD diagnosis would make this route pointless as well. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Have you spoken to your treating provider about discontinuing the medication entirely or moving to another FAA conditionally approved one?

Back