Tesla Pickup Unveil

How do I buy the vehicle without paying for all of the hardware that has been built into it for that feature?
The hardware is used for Autopilot, which is included in every Tesla. Only the additional FSD features cost extra.

But, Teslas are not for everybody. I'm okay with that. I probably wouldn't want the type of car that you drive, either, though I have no interest in describing the reasons why I don't like it to those, like you, who do.

I'm getting rid of my Tesla first chance I get. I'm totally and utterly infuriated that I have to choose between FSD, which I paid $12,000 for and normal cruise control. I mostly just use cruise control. FSD was a cool toy I would occasionally use. Especially in construction, it's a frustrating piece of garbage - and everything within 15 miles of me right now is under construction. Two releases ago they introduced "single push" which means I have to choose before my drive if I want to use adaptive cruise, or FSD. Can't change your mind without putting the car in park. ABSOLUTE BS. I really thought they would fix it after a release or two, but nope. I really can't believe I'm the only one bothered by this theft of value by an intentional software change.

I have to choose between not having a feature I use 90% of the time or not using a feature I paid $12,000 for.

Anybody want a Tesla?
You have a 3 or a Y?

Beauty is in the (blind) eye of the beholder.

They look cool enough from the right angle...

RED_5892.JPG

I'm thinking four little probes off the front (ALA F-117) and a ghostish looking bat symbol somewhere on it along with monocolor USAF markings and it would a pretty cool ride.

They look cool enough from the right angle...

View attachment 128900
I saw 4 of these, unpainted, on the back of a car hauler today.
I'm getting rid of my Tesla first chance I get.
Ya know, for the right price I'll steal it from your driveway and you can file a claim on your insurance...

No no, of course not, what am I thinking, that would be illegal.

(call me...)

I tried out the FSD this month with the free trial. Not impressed. Works about 90 % of the time. I was cruising along the highway when it turned on the left turn signal, switched to the left lane and hit the brakes. Guy that was behind me blew passed me on the right. Then as I approach work it hit the left turn signal early and tried to turn me off on the road that about 100 ft prior to my road.

I don’t need a car that does everything for me so I don’t care about FSD. AP works fine. Keeps me in my lane, keeps me proper distance from cars in front and emergency braking if necessary. Of course my cameras are on the blink right now so I currently don't even have a basic cruise…so there’s that. :(

Posted to Facebook yesterday:

Earlier this week I finally got the offer of the free month of Full Self Driving. Played with it yesterday.

There’s an expression: “The amazing thing about a singing dog is not that it sings well, it’s that it can sing at all!”.

That’s my impression so far. On the Interstate it’s creepily efficient. Had only one oopsie in maybe 30 miles - it started to change lanes out of the passing lane, not “seeing” a car merging from an entrance ramp. I intervened, though it probably would have handled it eventually. In town, even in the “Chill” setting, acceleration and deceleration were far more aggressive than the way I drive. More tiring to be constantly monitoring it than just driving. Still pretty amazing, though, and a glimpse at what the future holds.

At the current price of $8,000, no way. But at its current $99/month, and I’d consider buying a month here and there for road trips. At a lower monthly rate it would be close to a no-brainer, especially as its capabilities improve.

I’d never purchase it. Even if it were free I’d stick with AP.

I enjoy, I mean I really enjoy driving.

I moved from S FL to N GA, and now E TN, largely because of the roads and I love driving and riding on them.

Creeping along on the Interstate in bumper-to-bumper traffic? Not so much. In cases like that, a competent autonomous system would be a godsend.

ISTM that a fully autonomous car would be able to take the kids to school without me. It also seems that it would mean there’s no such thing as DUI.

Are we anywhere near that level of autonomy?

One of these drove by my house today. That's more unusual considering that I live on a dead end street with only maybe 20 houses and a small business on it.

Anyway, it was a weird experience. Much more surprising than I would have expected it to be. My immediate reaction was something like this:
1 - what the hell is that?
2 - have a been transported into a Mad Max movie?
3 - so these things really are real!

I may live a bit of a sheltered life. But that said, a couple of months ago I had what looked a lot like a McLaren pass me on the highway. That sparked a much different reaction, "huh, that's pretty cool." and "I didn't know a car could be that low to the ground".

I saw my first one in the wild yesterday. It was along side, slightly ahead, or slightly behind me for several miles of busy highway, so I got a good look. The pics never impressed me, and seeing the real deal didn't change my mind at all. In person, it was bigger than I had expected.

Back