how much risk flying in windy conditions

There is no quartering tailwind in your diagram, but I would not use that technique in any landing.
Anecdote:

I landed once in my Sky Arrow at Moriarty, NM with a hellacious right crosswind to what was then a single runway. My ground track looked something like this:

I mentioned my technique to a glider instructor there. He said in really strong winds they would land nearly perpendicular to the runway so as to utilize the ramp area. Something like this:

Same trip, Henrietta, OK, wind so strong tumbleweed was blowing right to left across the runway. Used the same technique on the takeoff.

Maybe not for everyone, and I wouldn’t suggest trying it if you’re uncomfortable with the idea. But it really does work.

Note: on occasion I’ve also given up landing at a particular airport due to crosswinds, and found a nearby airport with runways better aligned with the wind.

Last edited:
Anecdote:

I landed once in my Sky Arrow at Moriarty, NM with a hellacious right crosswind to what was then a single runway. My ground track looked something like this:

I mentioned my technique to a glider instructor there. He said in really strong winds they would land nearly perpendicular to the runway so as to utilize the ramp area. Something like this:

Same trip, Henrietta, OK, wind so strong tumbleweed was blowing right to left across the runway. Used the same technique on the takeoff.

Maybe not for everyone, and I wouldn’t suggest trying it if you’re uncomfortable with the idea. But it really does work.

Note: on occasion I’ve also given up landing at a particular airport due to crosswinds, and found a nearby airport with runways better aligned with the wind.
Runway 36/18 at Henrietta, OK is 3501 x 50 ft. An angling approach or roll out after touch done is a really bad idea.

In a 90° crosswind situation, reducing the crosswind component 20° by using a diagonal path across the runway results in a <1 knot crosswind reduction.

Last edited:
I don't know where you are in eastern Washington, but I live just over the border in Idaho and the winds were a lot more than 10-15 kts. If this has already been said, I apologize, but it's the gusts, not the "base" wind (for lack of a better word) that gets you. And it isn't just the landing and takeoff, which are challenging enough in gusty wind, it's the taxiing. I will land and takeoff in a wind of 30 kts, but if it's one knot more than that, I won't because taxiing inevitably means you're completely crosswise to the wind while on the ground. One good gust >30 kts could lift a wing up and over. Not a chance I personally want to take.

I actually enjoy crosswind landings, even on the narrow airstrip that is my home. They keep things interesting and remind you how important it is to be able to dance on the pedals. But I also have >2500 hours. As a student pilot, I wasn't so fond of them, to put it mildly. Like anything else in aviation, practice and experience will allow you to tackle ever-more-challenging conditions.

There is no quartering tailwind in your diagram, but I would not use that technique in any landing.
Why would I make a diagram of landing in a quartering tailwind?

In a 90° crosswind situation, reducing the crosswind component 20° by using a diagonal path across the runway results in a <1 knot crosswind reduction.

I’ll assume you did the math. How about for a 60° crosswind? 45°? Or anywhere in between?

The idea is just to reduce it somewhat. Every little bit helps

I don't know where you are in eastern Washington, but I live just over the border in Idaho and the winds were a lot more than 10-15 kts. If this has already been said, I apologize, but it's the gusts, not the "base" wind (for lack of a better word) that gets you. And it isn't just the landing and takeoff, which are challenging enough in gusty wind, it's the taxiing. I will land and takeoff in a wind of 30 kts, but if it's one knot more than that, I won't because taxiing inevitably means you're completely crosswise to the wind while on the ground. One good gust >30 kts could lift a wing up and over. Not a chance I personally want to take.

I actually enjoy crosswind landings, even on the narrow airstrip that is my home. They keep things interesting and remind you how important it is to be able to dance on the pedals. But I also have >2500 hours. As a student pilot, I wasn't so fond of them, to put it mildly. Like anything else in aviation, practice and experience will allow you to tackle ever-more-challenging conditions.
A post earlier said GEG had 49k gusts. What I am getting out of this is experience helps immensely. We got winds all day today [Saturday] although not as strong. A flight school out of Felts was in the air earlier. Doubt they were doing much landing practice with low time students. Been windy for the last couple months. Have been training out of DEW.

I’ll assume you did the math. How about for a 60° crosswind? 45°? Or anywhere in between?

The idea is just to reduce it somewhat. Every little bit helps
Even under your scenario using 15 knot wind, less than 1.5 knots. The bottom line, when you angle as suggested the aircraft is placed close to upwind side of the runway and exactly where you don’t want to be during a strong xwind landing.

Something I recommend every student pilot or private pilot if they haven't done it try: get a CFI who will make/help you do crosswind landings in very windy/gusty conditions. Preferably as close to a direct 90 degree crosswind as you can get- works best at airports with multiple runways. Do it as many times through the pattern or as many sessions as it takes until you are nailing it every time. Once you get it down you just have the skill and know what you can handle. From there the real crosswind limit is when you run out of rudder pedal to line up on the runway- max demonstrated crosswind component is not a limitation it's what they decided an 'average' pilot can safely land in. Finding your limit in your plane with a CFI will tell you what you can really do.

Something I recommend every student pilot or private pilot if they haven't done it try: get a CFI who will make/help you do crosswind landings in very windy/gusty conditions. Preferably as close to a direct 90 degree crosswind as you can get- works best at airports with multiple runways. Do it as many times through the pattern or as many sessions as it takes until you are nailing it every time. Once you get it down you just have the skill and know what you can handle. From there the real crosswind limit is when you run out of rudder pedal to line up on the runway- max demonstrated crosswind component is not a limitation it's what they decided an 'average' pilot can safely land in. Finding your limit in your plane with a CFI will tell you what you can really do.
"max demonstrated crosswind component is not a limitation it's what they decided an 'average' pilot can safely land in."

Or what the crosswind component just happened to be on the day and location where their test pilot did the demonstration.

Could be completely unrelated to airframe capability.

CFI told me we are going to do that at some point. Am not in any hurry to advance the training because or money or time limitations. Want to get everything down as we go to be as safe as possible. Told the CFI that. Know there is a risk that the school will milk it but at this point not seeing it. Doing this for fun [and I hate driving] not a future job.

If only you could call the airport and have them turn the runway into the wind for ya. Makes things much safer. :cool:

Back