GTN 750xi update broke wind data

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have a 750xi, dual G5s, GAD13, and GTX330ES. A friend at the local Garmin dealer updated mine today to v20.41 with the data cards at my hangar.

Now I no longer get wind in my configured map corner, though it still shows in my G5. Garmin support said the dealer needs to pull the unit out to reconfigure it to accept GAD13 input. This can only be done with a laptop according to Garmin phone support.

Guess I have to fly it back to the dealer. Also my transponder only comes up in Standby mode now and I have to manually switch to ALT. Finally, I get no glide ring even though it’s configured to show it. I am guessing that issue is related to no wind data.

Everything was working before the software update.

I am reluctant to file IFR not knowing what else might be broken.

Stay after it you moved up to get all bell an whistle they will get it right you got the right stuff

SO... I am getting wind and temperature on the G5 from the GAD13 so that part works.

I am also getting wind on the wind page in the 750xi. The CAS must be coming from the G5, but before I installed the GAD13 this page worked via the temperature probe on the JPI830. Right now I am not sure where it is getting the temperature from.

The only thing that stopped working is the wind on the map page. This never worked prior to installing the GAD13 even though the wind page worked (some legal requirement from Garmin).

So it seems that even though the CAS is flowing from the G5 to the 750xi, the temperature may not be. Don't they flow on the same 429 bus?

Well, it seems like a software bug. The software upgrade was done for free under warranty, but now to troubleshoot it, the dealer charges $150/hr and will only take me back to 20.24 "at my own risk".

The only reason I bought the GAD 13 was to get wind on the map page of the 750xi. I guess I just have to live with it being broken now. Sigh.

One step forward, two steps back.

Back