Foreflight Lightning is Broken - Need Help with Escalation

David Loftus

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
dmloftus
I've seen a couple of mentions on different forums about lightning not working correctly in FF. I sent the following to FF this morning, and their response follows. This is an incredibly important feature for FF that is broken.
It would be extremely helpful if others on this forum also highlighted this issue to FF to help increase urgency on fixing it.

My FF support request:
I have the FF Performance Plus USA subscription. I have used FF for about 10 years and consider myself reasonably proficient at it. I used to get reliable lightning indications on my screen but for some reason they have almost completely disappeared in the last several updates. Sometimes they are visible at home, then disappear minutes later, even though I have very fast fiber-based internet here at home. They are pretty much non-existent as I fly, even when I have good cellular connection. Every now and then I see a stray lightning bolt on the screen.
But right now, I am sitting in Atlanta in the middle of a huge thunderstorm, and I see just a few lightning bolts in the entire southeast. Now those lightning bolts have disappeared again. When I look at other online lightning web pages, the southeast is filled with them. Why would they come and go on my FF screen? Also, is there a way to enlarge the lightning symbol, or have it persist longer before disappearing? Thanks

FF Response:
Thank you for the PIREP. What you are experiencing is a known issue that we are working to address. We have an internal engineering case to look into this issue further and we are working on a fix. While we don’t have a timeframe for when a fix may be put in place, please know we are working on correcting this.
As a workout, I've noticed that ForeFlight Web shows more Lightning.
I can pass this information along as a feature request to enlarge the Lightning Bolts to our Product Development Team for their consideration.
Let us know if you have any other questions. We're happy to help!

Best regards,
Trevor
Pilot Support Team
team@foreflight.com

Lightening has been working here all this past week as we have had our shared of thunder storms.
Are you having trouble while online or when FF is getting it's info from ADS-B in?

CodeMonkey works (or worked? it's been five years since they logged on to poa) for foreflight.
Looking at older threads, I guess he was a founder! And last messaged here coincident with the sale to Boeing.

Codemonkey was Tyson Wiehs I believe and very much departed even as an advisor to FF post Boeing purchase. Really nice guy who created a forward thinking company and a culture of GA pilots that still seems to exist today. I have met quite a few employees over the years…if pilot support says they are looking for a fix the process is ongoing in my experience and they do try and resolve all issues.

Back